Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Konking out when low on fuel

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
hey guys...just bought a vn...and when it has about 2 bars of petrol left....the car cuts out when you turn corners...what would the issue be?

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Fuel runnin away from the pump pick up maybe the gauge is wrong and there aint as much fuel left as its tellin ya.

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Mine just started to do this, at first i fort i had water in the tank.

Ive pulled me pump out twice just to make sure the pick up is right.

All stated coz i ran way way low, now starts to stall on roundabouts once u get all the way round. Tanks on 1/4

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If your careful you can slightly bend the fuel gauge float rod in the fuel tank to make it read more accurate.You would need to bend it down slightly if the gauge reads empty when theres fuel left in the tank still.Or you need to bend it up slightly if the gauge reads that theres fuel left when theres not.Also the fuel pump pickup sits inside a "pot" on the bottom of the tank called the swirl pot,which is where the fuel return line also empties back into the fuel tank.This is so the fuel pump doesnt get starved for fuel when braking ,accelerating and cornering etc when the fuel level is low and the fuel is sloshing around a lot inside the tank..Ive seen a few of these in tank return lines snapped off or not reconencted ,probably from a bodgy mechanic that didnt do the job properly,or some backyarder who couldnt reconnect the return line again, as it can be difficult sometimes to re connect it.So it might be worth checking out too.

Last edited:

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
ok, im starting to get confused....it konked out twice on the way home today, and i had a bit over half a tank...and both times, it started after about 5-10 minutes...anyone know what could be the problem? i thought it might be the fuel pump, or mabye a sensor overheating or something...

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
That sounds more like a faulty CAS (Crank Angle Sensor).It can cause similar problems to what you describe when its on its way out.Sometimes when the CAS fails or plays up, it wont even log an error code either.

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
is there any way of testing it??

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Pour water over the harmonic balancer next time it play up and wont start up straight away, if it starts up then its the CAS