Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn lowered, unfoadworthy?

lachie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp commodore 3.8ltr v6
vn lowered, unroadworthy?

hey guys, i was talking to my mates old man(who is a mechanic) nd he seems to think that if i put super low king springs on the rear of my car without changing the shocks it will become unroadyworthy. is this true? and if so do i have to change the front ones too if i out sl's on front?
thanks lachlan.

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
it will become dangerous which will make it unroadworthy.
There would be a chance the spring could fall out when going over a bump.
Also if the car is lowered to far then it become unroadworthy just due to the height.
Check your local regs, i think qld lists a amount that you are allowed to change it buy and is based factory spec.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
super lows should still be over the 100mm but the part that he is talking about is because the spring will not be captured unless you have shortened shockers WHICH like centy said, the spring could pop out.....

change your front and rear shockers :) stock one's will die in the arse pretty quick on a low car

94CLUBBY

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 HSV CLUBSPORT NO.356
super lows should still be over the 100mm but the part that he is talking about is because the spring will not be captured unless you have shortened shockers WHICH like centy said, the spring could pop out.....

change your front and rear shockers :) stock one's will die in the arse pretty quick on a low car

i put super lows in my vr clubby and they don;t move when the car is jacked up!!only when you put in ultra lows shorter shocks are needed!!

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
I've had VR with Live Axle and VP with IRS both with super lows and they both needed shorter shocks.

lachie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp commodore 3.8ltr v6
hmm i think ill just go the safe option and get shocks too, lol gota bit of saving to do in the meantime anyway, it will be a very slow build as im in year 12 this year and kinda needa concentrate haha, but hopfully will come out with a clean car, cheers

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
Rear short shockers shouldn't cost you much as they come as a pair, I paid $90 last time I got some, and thats here in NZ where Holden parts are expensive, so should be cheaper than that again, if you want to go really really low you can get RAV4 rear shocks for i.e cut springs (i wouldn't suggest it) but they are really short and same mounting stuff.

(waits for the crowd to tell me im wrong)

Leebo

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN
You should have shorter shocks when you put in the lower springs but you don't have to.

The car will be defective even if it's 100mm or more cos it's considered dangerous.
I don't think it would be dangerous with super lows just in the rear but if you go ultra low then you will have problems.

Also how much have you been quoted for shorter rear shocks?

H00LiGaN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS
my car vnss went in for a roady and is quite low,i cant even reverse up a set of ramps because the ramps are already hitting the spare wheel well and fuel tank before the ramps are near the back wheels. However when the car was on a hoist both rear springs did fall out and yes i need to use shork shockers, However due to not getting the car up the ramps to replace my hand brake assembly i just had to jack up the passenger rear so i could reach the handbrake and funnily enough with the rear wheel totally off the ground the spring was nowhere near falling out.
So to me for it to be a serious issue you would have to get both rear wheels totally off the ground before they even think of falling out.