Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn missing on two cylinders

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
check spark plugs, leads, coils for a start.

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
take rocker covers off and inspect the rocker bolts, mine was running on 5, found it was a rocker that was VERY loose

but because its missing two its more likely to be coils?? how did u check it?? try another set????

did you do a compression test??? if you didnt do one,
also check your pushrods (unbolt rockers on the missing cyclinders and the pushrods will lift out)

hope that helps

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Mine misses on 2 and 6. Just had it looked at by a local garage and the guy there says it's injectors. Is it most noticeable at idle? I was quoted $55 per injector for new ones fitted.

T

tan

done the compression test and try another set still missing on 3rd and 6 th

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Remove all 3 coil packs. Put a test light between the terminals on the dfi module that controls cylinders 3 & 6. When you crank over the engine the test light should blink. If it doesnt the DFI module is stuffed.
If the light blinks it will be either the coil pack, leads or spark plugs.
Remember that on a wasted spark system that a failure on one side can cause the other to not fire.

89 calais

Munch,Munch V8'sfor lunch
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
Another test to do for injectors is grab a stethoscope or a bit of hose and put one end to your ear and the other to the injector in question,then listen for pulsing in that injector.Also compare the pulsing to the rest of your injectors,or even simpler disconnect the wires from 3 & 6 (one at a time) and see if it affects the engine idle.Also remember to check injector plug with testlight to make sure your getting power to injector,if powers there then injector is dead (Time for a new one) Remember : MAY NEED TO RESET ECU FOR TROUBLE CODES!

Toby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS & VE Berlina
Had the same problem on a VN Lexan, after all the experts had ripped me off with there worthless advice I changed the EMC $50.00 from wreckers and the problem went away.