Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN mod ideas

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
hearing good things about adjustable rockers for v6 having same effect as cam swap, get them a larger throttlebody, chip to suit, and extractors and it'll scream, u'll prolly need better brakes after these mods imho

a larger throttle body is a total wast in truth the v6 standard throttle body was extremely close to maximum flow for that engine and besides after that the elbow slows the airflow any how

if you ask green foam or some of the other guys here they will tell ya the same you may get slightly better response time but its un likely

and as for a tune ask greenfoam http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/members/greenfoam.html
im sure he will hook you up and around here hes known to be the one to talk to about it good luck

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
could take the bellmouth off? bit better response i'm told

good point i did but that's because it shatted due to a lpg backfire i dont notice that much difference but i spose it is worth a try

h0Ld3n`VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
NO CAR ATM.. -.-
leave the bellmouth in there.. theres no point removing it

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Theres no point in removing the bellmouth, or fitting a larger throttle body. What's the point in a 5mm increase in the TB body, if the elbow is left unchanged....Your just throwing away good money. As far as removing the bellmouth goes, i've said this to people before, if you want to modify your engine, or any other part of your car for that matter, then this is done by replacing, or fabricating a part, that is superior to that of the one you are replacing. Not by simply removing that part all together....

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
You can upgrade to the V8 throttle body, which is 65MM. Anything bigger than that is pretty much useless as the elbow is 68MM.

Honestly, I've always been one to say this, the first thing you ever do to a car is improve it's brakes. Might not have to be by much, but I've been told on the VN V6's they're ****. (I've got the Sports pack, so they come with the V8 brakes). You can go to the V8 brakes if you want. For something more, there's the VT brake upgrade, or if you want some insane stopping power, you can do the same as someone else on the forum, and convert it to the monster VE brakes. As for brake pads, everyone has their personal opinions. I like the feel of the QFM-HPX pads. Feel very nice under your foot.

Once that's done, then you can start doing performance mods;

These are in no particular order, really, just to help you.

1. Diff gears.
a)Don't do much highway driving? 3.9s or 4.11s
b)Do some regular highway driving? 3.45s or 3.7s

2. Get rid of that single spinner
a)Love doing burnouts? Mini/Full-spool is your only option
B)Not a burnout boy but want the added effect of a twin spinner? Then get an LSD

3. Greenfoam tune. $55 or so, it'll be some of the best money spent

4. A nice shift kit in it. I've got a manual, so I'm not really informed on shift kits.

5. Nice set of high-lift roller rockers. You can go the 1.8 ratio rockers on the VNs. Get them and you should notice an alright increase. After that though, it may be beneficial to get another tune off greenfoam.

6. Forced induction. You haven't got much more choice now without opening up the motor.

91VN84km

Home Of The LE
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
You can upgrade to the V8 throttle body, which is 65MM. Anything bigger than that is pretty much useless as the elbow is 68MM.

Honestly, I've always been one to say this, the first thing you ever do to a car is improve it's brakes. Might not have to be by much, but I've been told on the VN V6's they're ****. (I've got the Sports pack, so they come with the V8 brakes). You can go to the V8 brakes if you want. For something more, there's the VT brake upgrade, or if you want some insane stopping power, you can do the same as someone else on the forum, and convert it to the monster VE brakes. As for brake pads, everyone has their personal opinions. I like the feel of the QFM-HPX pads. Feel very nice under your foot.

Once that's done, then you can start doing performance mods;

These are in no particular order, really, just to help you.

1. Diff gears.
a)Don't do much highway driving? 3.9s or 4.11s
b)Do some regular highway driving? 3.45s or 3.7s

2. Get rid of that single spinner
a)Love doing burnouts? Mini/Full-spool is your only option
B)Not a burnout boy but want the added effect of a twin spinner? Then get an LSD

3. Greenfoam tune. $55 or so, it'll be some of the best money spent

4. A nice shift kit in it. I've got a manual, so I'm not really informed on shift kits.

5. Nice set of high-lift roller rockers. You can go the 1.8 ratio rockers on the VNs. Get them and you should notice an alright increase. After that though, it may be beneficial to get another tune off greenfoam.

6. Forced induction. You haven't got much more choice now without opening up the motor.

Wow Thank You for that Very Helpful information