Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN mod ideas

91VN84km

Home Of The LE
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
hi there guys i come here with a question to ask. over the past few months i have been thinking of wat small mods i can do but the problem i have is i dont know wat order to do them in. iv looked up some of the places that can do these mods i want its just the order. this is where you guys come in

1.Upgrade brakes
2.Power chip
3.Stage 2-shift kit
4.LSD Diff with 3.91 gear change
5.Tune or remapping

mods done
Cold air intake
Exhaust System

suggestions will be appreciated

1991 Limited Edition VN Commodore

Thank You

Last edited:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Okay, Firstly - No point in upgrading your brakes, unless you plan on doing any track work. Only upgrade to them should be some decent pads..

Secondly, By the time you purchase both a shift kit, and replacement diff gears, and have them all fitted (because i'm assuming you cant do it yourself) you could have considered the possibility of a manual conversion.

Thirdly, No such thing as a power chip, you can however have your factory memcal re-tuned..

And last of all, you left out the more basic mods, such as a cold air intake system, and an upgraded exhaust system..

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
no point upgrading brakes? its not like its going to do any damage. surely greater stopping power is always a good thing. could save his life one day as the VN brakes are smaller than any other v6 model commodore, and really arent that great.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1. Memcal/Tune
2. Shiftkit/Manual conversion
3. LSD with 3.7s, or 3.9s if you really want them

and brakes somewhere in there if you decide to do them. always a good idea to update them, or at least get some decent pads for them.

91VN84km

Home Of The LE
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
Okay, Firstly - No point in upgrading your brakes, unless you plan on doing any track work. Only upgrade to them should be some decent pads..

Secondly, By the time you purchase both a shift kit, and replacement diff gears, and have them all fitted (because i'm assuming you cant do it yourself) you could have considered the possibility of a manual conversion.

Thirdly, No such thing as a power chip, you can however have your factory memcal re-tuned..

And last of all, you left out the more basic mods, such as a cold air intake system, and an upgraded exhaust system..

thanks for the information but i left the c/i and exhaust because i have done that already

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
no point upgrading brakes? its not like its going to do any damage. surely greater stopping power is always a good thing. could save his life one day as the VN brakes are smaller than any other v6 model commodore, and really arent that great.

Yeah of course there's no harm in upgrading them, but if it was me, while i'm still performing basic mods, then other than decent pads, im sure i could find somewhere better for the money to go, that's all:thumbsup:

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
cheap upgrade would be VP brakes. same as vn v8. would cost **** all to do and might make a bit of an improvement. possibly a 1 inch master cylinder as well

91VN84km

Home Of The LE
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
yer iv looked in to all that stuff, upgrading is probably the last thing i would do if that

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
hearing good things about adjustable rockers for v6 having same effect as cam swap, get them a larger throttlebody, chip to suit, and extractors and it'll scream, u'll prolly need better brakes after these mods imho