Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN New engine running badly

wilso108

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Caprice VK Calais VN V6
okay so I got a VN series 2 engine and rebuilt it and everything in the engine bay. Everything on the engine and in the bay is brand new or remanufactured except for the
Crank shaft
conrods
crank angle sensor
tps sensor and the other sensor on the butterfly..
the two water temp sensors next to each other at the front of the motor
the sensor at the back of the inlet manifold
the MAP or MAT sensor ( not sure what its called ) the one on the firewall above the intake pipe
and the fuel delivery (pump, lines, filter ect)

I did the whole running the engine in thing.. not going over 90-100kph and kept the revs down under 2000 for 1000km.

when I first put the engine in and cranked it, the check engine light came on just thought it was because the light was on with the old engine..
the engine ran perfect no knocks, ticks or anything just a smooth sounding engine
problem was it had a small flat spot when you tryd to accelerate at the start.
I didn't think to much of it and just drive the car ( I had to I had no more time to work on the car...).
but just recently the car goes all weird when I try to drive if I go over 1500- 2000 revs or when under slight load it goes all spluttery really really badly..
the new engine has only done 1480km

found out how to do a error check on the car and I got code 22 and 44 which mean throttle pos sensor below .2 volt for 2 seconds while engine running.
and o2 sensor showed 0.250 volt for over 20 seconds while operating closed loop..

aint got no idea what any of that means and in haste I bought a new tps sensor but not a o2 because I put a new one on with the engine.
could anything else be the problem or does the problem sound like the tps
also is that what might have cause the flat spot when accelerating?
and what would cause code 44?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
did the new parts fix it?

wilso108

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry was Spose to say I bought it off eBay, so I'm just waiting for postage

wilso108

Reaction score
Members Ride
installed the new TPS, doesn't seen to splutter under load or high revs, code 44 is gone for somereason but code 22 still comes up checked it twice..

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
try taking off your throttle body and cleaning it. get a multi purpose thinner or carb cleaner and a tooth brush in there. take off the tps for this, remove and clean the IAC and the cavity its screwed into. clean off all the carbon build up in the vac ports and all the little nooks and crannies. theres a pcv hose that vents oily gasses from the crank case into the throttle body causing alot of crap to build up in there, its a common problem and needs to be cleaned out every once and a while.

seemed to work for this guy....

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vn-vp-holden-commodore-1988-1993/181811-code-22-but-iv-replaced-tps.html

wilso108

Reaction score
Members Ride
I acid bathed everything TB, elbow, inlet manifold i checked it too fingers still clean lol
and I cleaned the IAC when it was out, will the comp tell me if the IAC is faulty? I'm looking at getting a new IAC soon anyway
(running low on funds already spent over 3.5k on the motor and bay as it is lol)

Vpwagon93

Reaction score
Members Ride
Flat black vp wagon skid car
Could be coils plugs or leads but shouldn't be if you replaced them or fuel filter