Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN power steering leak

timmy_tam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais 91
hey all
i know my problems common and has been covered before, but there wasn't a direct answer for it

leaking power steering fliud, it's dripping onto the oil filter
got under and had a look, the entire lower section housing of the pump is just smeared in grease n black gunk

think it's fubar? or could it just be a small leak that needs to be tigthened?
lookin at the gregories book, could it be mabe a spring or plate or o ring gone?

or does anyone know anyone selling a powersteetring pump?

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN series II custom :) and VZ exec
take it in to get rebuilt, or have a go yourself, they not to bad, i just put a kit through one at work just the other day, and its not as hard as i thought, but yeah pretty sure its normally an o'ring that has gone inside it,

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
dont know where you are but a mate (ex fulcrum and BHSS) rebuilds racks & pumps for cash. Fairly simple job though. Check your pump isn't fubar and it hasnt pushed **** through your rack, or that will need rebuilding too. Most of my cars- the pump goes, the rack isnt far behind.

bandit0014

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Commodore Wagon
Well i live on the central coast & my power steering pump died & i,m getting a full rebuilt one in exchange for my one for $120 is that a good price or are they cheaper

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Loads of pumps on eBay too, second hand and recon. About $100 for a recon one.

Recon pump

Used pump

Personally i'd go for the recon since you could have the same problem again sooner than you'd want using a second hand one!

timmy_tam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais 91
so u rekcon this is all i'll need?
i'm thinking of the recon one
is it a big job removing the pulley wheel from infront?

is there anyway to check wha'ts wrong before removing and stripping it?
ie. by checking/looking?

p.s i'm from SE melbourne, around dandenong

anyone able to help me out?

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN series II custom :) and VZ exec
well to get the pulley of just undo the bolts on the front 10mm i think, i normally do it with the belt still on so i can stop it from moving, sometimes it works sometimes i use a screwdriver between the bolt and centre of the pulley bit hard to explain, once you crack the bolts loose then remove te belt and then remove all the bolts and pul the pulley off

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
timmy_tam said:
is it a big job removing the pulley wheel from infront?

Certainly not. It is actually very easy. I did the reconditioned pump swap very recently (last 2 weeks).

Crack the bolts with the belt still on, so the pulley doesn't spin. Don't take them all the way out, just loosen them. Then take off the drive belt and remove bolts altogether. The pulley should just lift off - mine wasn't stuck at all . . . You might want to give it a clean when you get it off - mine was disgusting! Pump is easy to replace, that said I had a Gregory's manual to follow.

Another thing that'll tell you your pump is on its way out is fluid trace on the bonnet. Wipe the underside of your bonnet clean, go for a drive and check your bonnet afterwards.
With my VN, I had serious problems with fluid loss, it was squirting onto the bonnet, and dripping on the oil filter, and getting on the drive belt - causing a permanent squeak at low RPM that nearly drove me insane . . .
I replaced the pump - got a completely reconditioned one (on exchange with Holden Parts department) with 2 fresh O-rings (for fluid tank and the high-pressure hose, from memory . . .) for about $165. This fixed all my problems :)

Hope that helps
Cheers
Sam

timmy_tam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais 91
thanks for all the help guys!!
so from what everyone says, it should be a piece of p!$$ to do

i've been quoted $90 bux for exchange and recon
or maybe it was $90 bux to fix my current one

so i think tha'ts a pretty good deal

and yeh, it does splash everywhere, its on the underside of the bonnet dribbling all over the place

i even tried the 'stop pump leak' fluid
let me tell you that's a big waste of money!
thanks again guys
tam

prince_dj666

hypo v6
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2112842/1
timmy_tam said:
hey all
i know my problems common and has been covered before, but there wasn't a direct answer for it

leaking power steering fliud, it's dripping onto the oil filter
got under and had a look, the entire lower section housing of the pump is just smeared in grease n black gunk

think it's fubar? or could it just be a small leak that needs to be tigthened?
lookin at the gregories book, could it be mabe a spring or plate or o ring gone?

or does anyone know anyone selling a powersteetring pump?

that has happen to my vn too. it leaks. but i just kept refilling it. anyway after time the fluid eats away the wires near, just under pump. and has sparked a few times.... making short circuts sounds.... then one day it lite up. lucky i have a extinguser handy from my previous nos set up. it saved me $$$$$.