Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN power steering leak

timmy_tam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais 91
are you sersious mate? it started a fire because of the leak?!?!?!?!?

FCUK!!!!
better get it fixed then
already, i can tell it's stuffed up the wiring underneath, it keeps blinking to 'fill up oil' even when it's filled, so gotta be an issue

thanks again!
cheers

seveprim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
I had a leak for awhile went exchanged the pump and all then realized it was the filler tank leaking at bottom ... it sits on an o ring... well tried new o ring still leaked... then though **** it .. i just smeared the new o ring with some black silicone and put it together while silicone wet (filler tank back on ) and waited a few hours to let it all dry and bingo hasn't leaked since .. also look at the main high pressure hose to the rack this is a real problem ... .they tend to leak, so always buy a new one ... as it not that dear and saves ya redoing it !!!

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
prince_dj666 said:
that has happen to my vn too. it leaks. but i just kept refilling it. anyway after time the fluid eats away the wires near, just under pump. and has sparked a few times.... making short circuts sounds.... then one day it lite up. lucky i have a extinguser handy from my previous nos set up. it saved me $$$$$.

Be aware that autotransmission fluid has a low flash point so it is easy to set it on fire. Some years ago Ford had a problem with the Falcon where the auto dipstick tube was directly under the drip point of the bonnet when it was opened. This meant water ran down into the transmission if the bonnet was opened in the rain or after a car wash. When the car was driven the operating temperature of the oil was above the boiling point of the water. The water is heavier than the oil so the oil was blown out of the dip stick onto the hot exhaust manifold causing a fire. There was a recall for this.

Any time power steering oil can spray/drip onto the exhaust it should be considered as a potential danger.

brendan57

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn89calais
great forum,lots of excellent info. Thank you all very much

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Be aware that autotransmission fluid has a low flash point so it is easy to set it on fire. Some years ago Ford had a problem with the Falcon where the auto dipstick tube was directly under the drip point of the bonnet when it was opened. This meant water ran down into the transmission if the bonnet was opened in the rain or after a car wash. When the car was driven the operating temperature of the oil was above the boiling point of the water. The water is heavier than the oil so the oil was blown out of the dip stick onto the hot exhaust manifold causing a fire. There was a recall for this.

Any time power steering oil can spray/drip onto the exhaust it should be considered as a potential danger.

LOL @ Ford!!