Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VN] Reasonable rear speakers to fit into original location of VN Calais.

Smallies

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 3.8/ VN Calais 5.0/ VY Wagon
I want to upgrade the audio in my VN Calais but dont want to alter the look of the interior besides the head unit. No 6x9's tek screwed to the parcel schelf, no VS door trims up front. Just standard.

This means the new speakers must be the same size as original or fit under original covers. Pretty sure original rears are 3 point mounted?

Anyone had good results with this and had a neat and easy install? Any suggestions?

Side question: I have the original head unit for the car and it has an aux input for CD. If I get an aux cable could I just plug mu phone in there, switch source to CD and listen to the music on my phone? Anyone tried this?

Thanks.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
To answer you head unit question, yes you can plug a 3.5mm jack into it and then into your iPod or similar. The rear speakers are 3 point mounted as are the fronts. The fronts are a 4" speaker and you can fit an aftermarket one in there using at least two of the factory mounts. Most people silicon the front ones in to replicate a decent seal on them. I also would recommend some sound deadening under it too - kinda create a little basket of it under the speaker. Have done it before with fairly good results. The rear speakers, being a Calais will have mesh grilles which will hide most speakers. As long as you don't use the aftermarket covers that come on them. Depending on the brand of speaker used a 6.5" one will fit - provided the magnet does not hit the boot arms below.
I would screw the speakers down with speed clips and self tappers (these come with most new speakers) and three mounting point will be fine. However, you will need a right angled driver to reach one of these holes properly. I have also seem people mount the rear speakers with bolts and nuts. If you do this I highly recommend using M4 bolts with a nyloc nut. If your not using a nyloc - use spring washers - or you will be doing them up every 6 weeks.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
As for speakers - depends on your budget. Have have good success with the Kevlar Jaycar 4" splits and a set of Alpine 6" 3 way rear speakers. Have done this in two cars - One with a 4 channel amp and one with the speakers connected to the head unit.
Both were fine. The amplified ones where obviously louder. But the non amplified ones were also ok for someone not wanting a lot of doof doof. Just a better setup from factory.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
I have been looking into this too, as for the 3 point mounting, if the speakers you choose only come with 4 point mounting then CAREFULLY redrill the rim to suit.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Most aftermarket jobs come with several pre - drilled holes. Check the speaker fitment first before drilling any new holes. I haven't had to re - drill any speakers yet...

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
The biggest thing your going to notice is changing the front speakers. You can spend all the money in the world on something on the rear shelf and you'll barely hear it from the front, let alone justify the money spent.

Either way, nothing is going to drop in easily, and if it does it's probably on par with what's in there all ready. Up front you can fit some 4'' components, with the midbass driver in the factory location, and the tweeter can be mounted anywhere on the A pillar, or the back of the mirror cover. You could put a 4'' coaxial in there, but your chances of getting better sound are going to come from seperate drivers. I'm sure there's some good quality 4'' component sets if you look outside the mainstream market. You might even want to look at a full range driver - For example - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-378

The next issue you face with using a 4'' driver, is it's fq response. Don't expect it to play low enough on it's own, you will need a sub, so if your budget is tight i would skip the rear speakers and work on a small sub. I say small because you won't cross a 4'' driver over with a 15'' sub. Well you could depending on the type of gear, but in general it wouldn't work so well. If anything i'd be inclined to try and use a free air style sub such as the tang band 6 x 9 in the rear deck, with a bit of fiddling around you could get them flush under the factory grills. Such as these http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=264-837

Probably not what you wanted to hear but at the end of the day if you go out and buy some 4'' and 6'' coaxials and drop them in and run them from the factory tape deck it will not sound good, in fact it may not sound any better at all, it may even sound worse. Your money your call.

Last edited:

turmoil117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs berlina
I dont mean to be 'that' guy but 4" speakers are **** no matter what brand. And as for 6" speakers in the rear any will fit and look stock with the factory grills in place

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I dont mean to be 'that' guy but 4" speakers are **** no matter what brand. And as for 6" speakers in the rear any will fit and look stock with the factory grills in place

You are "that guy" because there are plenty of good 4'' drivers, it depends on the application.

turmoil117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs berlina
You are "that guy" because there are plenty of good 4'' drivers, it depends on the application.

But if you are spending money why not do it right the first time. 4" speakers are **** and you will be dissapointed with the results if you buy a set, the best way around it is component speakers up front otherwise just leave whatever speakers you have in there

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
But if you are spending money why not do it right the first time. 4" speakers are **** and you will be dissapointed with the results if you buy a set, the best way around it is component speakers up front otherwise just leave whatever speakers you have in there

You need to listen to some more components and gain some more experience.