Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn running hot

ryan21

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 vn calais v6
hey guys my vn has been running fairly hot the last few days with the temp being around 30 (Melbourne)

I have had all my welsh plugs replaced flushed the system changed my water pump and refilled with proper coolant.
It seems to sit between the 1st quarter and the 2nd quarter and when stationary for awhile it will got to half then back down the that same point i don't know whether its just how the hot weather came on fairly quickly and not used to seeing it run that hot or if there may be a problem.
It would usually sit on the first quarter mark and if stationary go to half and back to the first quarter after driving a bit and that was with straight water running through the system and leaking welsh plugs. could you guys give some insight as to what might be happening or if you're cars do the same? i have uploaded a pic so you can see what i mean.
Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_1301.JPG
    IMG_1301.JPG
    268.3 KB · Views: 457

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
I remember on a really hot day, 40+ my VN sat between 1/2 and 3/4 while driving out past Bathurst on the Mid Western Highway. It normally sat around 1/4. I didn't worry about it too much as it didn't loose any coolant.
If you really wanted to you could check your radiator for any blockages and take out the thermostat and test it by heating it in a can of water with a thermometer. Other than that is the pressure cap on the surge tank OK?

ryan21

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 vn calais v6
hi thanks for the reply the radiator im pretty sure is fine and the thermostat is brand new not sure about the cap though sometimes after i have turned off the engine i can hear a bit of a hissing noise coming from it but its not very loud. ill check it out cheers.

Shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute
Roughly half way on the temp gauge is when the thermo fan cuts in, bringing the temp down.

An often overlooked restriction is the air con condensor which can block up with bugs and all sorts of things over the years.

BE39ER

More Torque Less Traction
Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Commodore Berlina just converted to manual
Loose the pod filter, go for a cool air unduction, and rip that thermostat out and throw it in the bin, Fixed my problem anyways :)

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Don't whatever you do remove the thermostat and leave it out. It is there to regulate the engine's temperature nd to make sure in some circimstances that the engine runs warm enough and without it you risk getting excessive crud build up in the oil galleries, rocker cover etc and the engine wearing out quicker.

slyvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina
If your really worried about overheating change your radiator to a aluminium radiator. To tell you the truth don't start worrying till it hits H ;)

vp93qman

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 vp exec wagon
Hey bro I had a vn 5 speed wagon and the bitch of a thing was always over heating I changed the thermostat and new coolent and no change. Took the new thermostat
out and tested it and it was faulty got a new one and that fixed the problem. To test it grab a tin u can put boiling water in hold the thermostat under and see if it opens.

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
yeah half-way aint too bad. maybe try air bleeding your system with the screw on top of thermostat housing? may or may not help. good luck bud