Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN running too cool?

Sladdo

Resident Ford mechanic
Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VT V6 5sp Exec.
Hey people when i first got my VN 6 months ago the coolant in it was brown & grubby & the temperature gauge sat on around half way. I flushed the cooling system after i got it & filled with genuine Ford (im a mechanic there) coolant & water & since then the temp gauge wont move past the 2nd notch. I could be sitting on 140km/h all day & it wont even think about going up anywhere near half way. Although if it does sit long enough in the traffic it will creep up to around half way & the thermo fan will kick in but in normal driving it wont.

It bothers me a bit cause i dont want to be driving around & revving it when it could be 'cold'. Oh ive also replaced the thermostat & it made no difference & heater tap when it broke a few months ago.

How hot does your V6 run?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
All perfectly normal mate, mine will creep to half way after sitting at the lights for too long, but never goes any further, and the same, sits around the second notch during normal driving. I've also recently flushed my radiator ect aswell.So wouldn't say you have anything to worry about.

COMMY VP 666

COMMY VP V6
Reaction score
Members Ride
COMMODORE VP
hey man my vp v6 runs really cool doesnt even get enough heat for the heater to work.

its a recon 6, everything is new on it, i dunno some engines run hotter then other, or... your temp gauge may be off, which is a semi common thing

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
mines the same unless im in heavy traffic or idling (no air flow ) but the fan takes it to where it should be i might add my heater runs nice and hot within 5 min and im on gas to boot

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Mine runs freakin' cold, about 30 mins in winter before the heater would be considered 'warm', that said though, if you granny drive it on a freezing cold night, it'll barely even lift off of the 'C' notch.

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
I changed coolant temp sensor and get a better reading ...

its located at back of engine just under throttle body ..

2 bars = operating temp and all good ..

1/2 way = sitting in traffic and or stop start driving or towing heavy load or going up a steep hill at high revs or its ummer than its at 1/2 all the time almost ...thermo fan should kick in

anything over that then you have either a leaking gasket/air in system , bad thermostat , or coolant not at 50/50 coolant to distilled water ratio, waterpump on way out, blocked radiator ...

Last edited:

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
Mine runs freakin' cold, about 30 mins in winter before the heater would be considered 'warm', that said though, if you granny drive it on a freezing cold night, it'll barely even lift off of the 'C' notch.

id die if mine ran cold for that long especially seeing i leave for work in the dark and come home in the dark

uzdvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn v6
mine is there abouts the second marker and the heat just doesnt seem to heat it takes 25 min to get nice sitting on the free way. is that normal