Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn running wierd after spark plug and battery change over

lemonjuice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina S2
Hi guys, Long time thread veiwer,first time poster, My issue relates to my 1991 vn commadore v6 sedan, a couple of weeks back id been having starting issues and notice my starter motor was caked in the usual crap,i gave it a good clean and some of my other underbody area (being extremely careful and covering the standard electrical-water no on parts alt/coil packs etc), anyway, afetr that the car ran like it was missing a cylinfer or two and had afew backfiring's a happening,before going shopping (im not a rich man) i told myself i may have just wet something that didnt like, after about a day after the backfires died off then by day 3 shes was all running smooth again so i put it down to that, so,today, (after finding out the starting issue was my battery/dead cell) i bought a brandnew battery,and put in some new spark plugs i had bought awhile back (yes the correct plugs ) now its running exactly how it was when i gave her a clean,although it hasnt backfired at all, its the same power loss/coughing/powerload struggle feeling as before,but with a lot more shake and shudder through the engine,ive tested all my leads and all my plugs and there all pulling spark,i doubt its my new battery as it turns over/powers up accs/HB fine and my alternator was tested a couple days ago and that fine too,im wondering if because i had my battery d/c for such along time in both instances (minus the water if that could contrib to backfiring)is there a chance my ecu is slow to resolve after reset? any information/advice would be greatly appreciated as im not looking forward to taking it to a mechanic$, please >> :help: !!
(edit) i had also found during the SP and battery change overthat 2 of my SP leads had no metal left in the SP plug end and the ends of the spark plugs had a corrosion layer which was suspiciously 6/3 (share a coil pack) i replaced the leads,and also tried running the car without 3 or 6 in to see if it made any difference (much worse) so i can assume the coil pack is fine?

Last edited:

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
The right plug lead on the right sparkplug?

lemonjuice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina S2
yep double checked firing order :)

(edit) been going over everything, i still cant figure it out >< hopefully the holden fairies will fix it while im asleep oO ill report back in the morning..

Last edited:

lemonjuice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina S2
So the fairys didn't turn up,so i did the last option which was to put back in the old plugs (even the 2 corroded ones) and she ran fine,so off i went back to super cheap, the attendant held her head in shame after notifying me that they had sold me VL spark plugs >< they replaced them for free and gave me a tradie card (im not a tradie in any respect) ive read staff can be dodgy but after that experience i will definately be self referencing every part regardless of the attendants recommendation or advice at any parts supplier

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
So the fairys didn't turn up,so i did the last option which was to put back in the old plugs (even the 2 corroded ones) and she ran fine,so off i went back to super cheap, the attendant held her head in shame after notifying me that they had sold me VL spark plugs >< they replaced them for free and gave me a tradie card (im not a tradie in any respect) ive read staff can be dodgy but after that experience i will definately be self referencing every part regardless of the attendants recommendation or advice at any parts supplier

Thats one of the main reasons I go to supercheap, I can look up and select the parts I want, and make 100% sure theyre exactly what I need. Ive lost count of the times someones tried to sell me the wrong part. I always check any parts that I have to order in before I leave the shop.