Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn s1 auto vs vn s2 5 speed

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Just looking through the technical specs on a few manufacturer's websites and they seem to claim considerably lower 0-100kmh times for the manal compared to the auto.

For example Ford claim 0-100 in 9.8 seconds for the 2 litre Duratec Mondeo Sedan in Manual form, but 11.5 seconds in auto. And Vauxhall claim the manual Vectra 3 litre TDCI will reach 100kph 0.4 seconds quicker than the auto.

I'm sticking to the manual taking it!

Last edited:

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
Well with manual it may be hard getting a good 0-100 time but with practice im sure you could beat auto. but over 1/4 mile im pretty sure manual would win. With the 0-100 time you only realy have to change gear once into second so its not much of a big deal to get one gear change right.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Its not that bigger deal. And no matter HOW good a driver you are, you can never match an auto when changing/shifting gears on a 0-100 run.

sure it is... like inexcess of 15rwkw diff..... i can tell you, from experience, manuals are faster, spesh with auto diff ratios.... ive driven my car with an auto in it, and a manual in it... manual wins. Period. In this case.... technically, if driven by non mistake making robots, manual wins. however.... most manual drivers are crap and so the SII driver will loose... it depends on the driver.

On a side note also.... i can shift faster than my auto ever could now... stick a shift kit in and yes itll change faster but standard autos.... VN autos... are **** house.

dmitch

DonkeySS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS S2
sure it is... like inexcess of 15rwkw diff..... i can tell you, from experience, manuals are faster, spesh with auto diff ratios.... ive driven my car with an auto in it, and a manual in it... manual wins. Period. In this case.... technically, if driven by non mistake making robots, manual wins. however.... most manual drivers are crap and so the SII driver will loose... it depends on the driver.

On a side note also.... i can shift faster than my auto ever could now... stick a shift kit in and yes itll change faster but standard autos.... VN autos... are **** house.

theres no difference in the diff ratios they use 3.08

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You can shift waaaaaay faster than a stock auto in a manual, maybe not in a really good Auto, but a stock one no problem. Plus you have an extra 5% power plus you can launch at any power level you want. Stock v Stock a manual with a good driver will win anytime.

All the fast stock and stockish VN 5 liter times are with manual cars, all in the very low 14's. The best autos are around the mid 14's or over

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
theres no difference in the diff ratios they use 3.08

yeah, your right.... my bad..... was thinking somehting else. However, im still for manuals being faster.

aZk.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
Yeah i can change gears in my manual pretty quick. When i 1st got my VN i was a bit slow and got beat a bit but now i can change gears in split second.