Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn s1 clutch freeplay

Pt112

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 Executive 5 speed
Hey guys new member here just bought a 5 speed s1 vn for 800, theres heaps of freeplay in the clutch it works fine tho, where the cable goes through that hole before the fork he adjuster bOlt was heaps loose so I tightened it a bit it's still hand tIght seems tO be going thrOught the gears better but it's still got heaps Of freeplay at least an inch almost 2 anyone gOt any idea what it could be? Cheers

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
i think by memory there is threads at either end of your cable where you can ajust it. mines got a bit of freeplay too. i havn't got around to ajusting it yet.

Pt112

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 Executive 5 speed
Sweet cheers for that, if I just follow the cable I should find the other adjustment point right?

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
The adjustment point of the clutch cable is on the gearbox bellhousing. The clutch pedal should be approximately in line with the brake pedal. If you adjust the cable too tight, the throw out bearing will be riding on the pressure plate fingers, bending them inwards and eventually the clutch will start slipping.

Pt112

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 Executive 5 speed
Is the bell housing the thing the cable goes through? It's adjusted almost all the way down the thread on the cable , I think it might be stretched, coz where it goes through the firewall u can jiggle it up and down a bit, cheers for the replys guys

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
The bell housing is where the gearbox bolts onto the engine. The cable should go through the firewall near the master cylinder. Past the heater tap then loop back down towards the exhaust all the way to the clutch fork. Which is in the bell housing.

Pt112

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 Executive 5 speed
So the adjusters down by the clutch fork right? Is it the one on the cable or is there an adjuster on the bellhousing? When I bought the car it had on fkn bolt in the gearbox x member so I think that might have stretched it a bit? I grannied it home and put a new bolt in straight away, its fine to drive just heaps of freeplay in the clutch pedal. Cheers

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
Look man my vz ss has heaps more freeplay than my vp. It's really nothing to worry about. If you're worried, check behind your brake master cylinder (where the clutch cable enters) and make sure it follows the right path and attaches to the clutch fork correctly.

Pt112

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 Executive 5 speed
Yea true that, but the adjuster bolt on the cable is done up the whole way and As k bagz said if its to tight it can fk ya clutch and bearing,I don't think it's tight tho as it sits probably an inch or 2 behind the brake :s I'll have a lOok in the morning where it cOnnects to the pedal in the interior, cheers