Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN s1 overheating problem

VNwagon4lyf

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 Vn Executive wagon on 18s
Hey i have a 1989 vn executive wagon and it has a new radiator with a cap when i drive for about 5 minutes the egine temp goes to about 3/4 and i can hear the reservoir boiling and when i check the hose coming from the engine it has no water in it at all and i can take the radiator cap off when its this hot what is wrong with it please help me out

-jarod-

ice_cold17

Ice Cold
Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Executive S2
alot of things can cause overheating,i wouldnt be driving it if you still are as you may end up cracking the head if it isnt already,check for signs like white foam in the coolant or oil,or if your exhaust is spitting white smoke,thats usually the first few signs,bleed your coolant lines as there may still be air inside,just run the car with the cap off the radiator and keep topping it off til its almost overflowing then put the cap on,get the cap and radiator pressure tested. as for the actual reason its overheating it could be a number of things which you should get checked out asap

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
If it's an early VN with a surge tank, what your refering to an a "Series 1" they do not have a radiator cap on their radiators so you have got the wrong radiator in it. The surge tank is connected to the top of the radiator as well as the inlet manifold and this setup bleeds the air out of the system by itself as the tank is higher than the rest of the cooling system.

You may be able to re-plumb the cooling system to get it to work properly but I am not sure how you would do that, best bet is to go and get the right radiator and put it in.

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
It's not difficult to change the radiator to one with a cap and do away with the S1 set up. I have a VN V8 radiator and a S1 V6 in my VC Commodore, bit of a mix I know but that's only the beginning. To get rid of the VN header tank you need to add another outlet to the radiator as high and as near to the filler neck as possible. This will enable you to bleed the system of air. You then connect a hose from the "T" piece on the inlet manifold to this new outlet and then use a non pressurised surge tank, in my case I just used the standard VC surge tank. The hose from the "T" piece originally went to the VN surge tank.
Hope this helps.

sapeter

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Vt Commodore 50th anniversary Edition
there is also a chance it could be your welsh plugs are ruin and creoted and might need to be replace