Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN S1 Radiator flush

Ayla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Series l
I want to flush me VN radiator. How can I do it as i 've never done it before.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Its not too hard on an early VN with a surge tank. With a cold engine take the bottom hose off the radiator and let it drain out. Next take out your surge tanka nd empty it out, refit it making sure the small metal pipes from the inlet manifold are not blocked with crud. if they are unblock them.
Next you can remove a heater hose from the engine and blow the coolant out of the heater core. Refit all your hoses and fil the engine with clean water. Take it for a bit of a drive and wnen it is cool drain it via the bottom home on the radiator and refill it. Do this untilt he water is clean. You can add a radiator flushing compound with the first lot of water change if you like.
When you have changed the water a few timesand it's nice and clean drain it again, making sure you get at least 5 litres out, you may need to empty the heater core again as above.
Go and get 5 litres of Nulon Long Life Coolant and then add that to the emply cooling system without diluting it. Next fill the system with clean water and take it for a drive. The cooling system on these cars will pretty much self bleed via the small metal pipes off the inletmanifold that go into the surge tank.
Also check your hoses and if any are swollen or soft etc replace them first. Be careful if you take hoses off the heater tap not to over tighten as you will crack the heater tap.

Ayla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Series l
sounds easy enough but one question. What and where is the surge tank

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
That is the plastic tank mounted on the driver's side front mudguard with the hoses going to the engine etc.

Ayla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Series l
lol I thought so thank you. I've only just started to fix things on my car myself cus I thought why pay someone a fortune to do something when I could do it myself