Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN S1 Running Problems

Reaction score
Members Ride
"89 HSV Enhanced SV20
Hey guys. Got myself a VN S1 HSV Enhanced SV20. Drives very well, except for one thing. On idle the revs aren't going crazy but they are a little up and down. Also when I hold the revs up at about 1500-2000 the car misses and fluctuates rpm. Driving normally its a rocket and you wouldn't know but it annoys me it runs rough. I've replace DFI, coil packs and leads/plugs. New oxy sensor. What could be my problem??? Thanks :)

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
it's a vn s1, hence why the cam & plenum were changed in the s2 engine amd the plastic bellmouth was added to the intake

Reaction score
Members Ride
"89 HSV Enhanced SV20
Surely that's not going to cause a miss like that. I understand the fluctuating idle but the miss sounds eclectronic.

IRON8

Let It Rip
Reaction score
Members Ride
'VTank SS , VG/VR Ute
Surely that's not going to cause a miss like that. I understand the fluctuating idle but the miss sounds eclectronic.

not always, could be a worn lifter or worn cam, is it a bit rattly when cold? how many ks? a worn lifter would cause both rough idling and a miss but it would go clack clack clack at idle

Reaction score
Members Ride
"89 HSV Enhanced SV20
It's only got 220k on the clock. It's pretty quiet apart from the alternator bearings. Could it throttle body/ sensor related?

Reaction score
Members Ride
"89 HSV Enhanced SV20
Yeah I'll try it. Just seems so random. It's not in time with anything and had no rythem. See if I find anything...

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
check you map sensor dosent have a vac leak. when you did the throttle body did you remove and clean your IAC sensor? they sometimes get clogged with carbon and can cause the rpm hunting symptoms your getting.