Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Sedan Front camber

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S Pac...(S for sexy)
I have a bad camber issue with the front of my vn...
When i bought it it had Sl springs and always had negative camber, and i have just put in stock height from a wagon (front) but i still have a camber issue, and i dont have much tyre left on the inside
Can i correct this by rotating that plate that the top of the spring is on? The one under bearing plate? or is it more complicated than that?
And is adjusting the toe as simple as backing off the nut behind the rod end and rotating the rod/shaft?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes, to adjust camber and caster, you rotate the bearing plate....The position for the most camber and caster is with the "centre" of the plate to be firewall side, outer side as you look at it.

To adjust, it is best to have 2 people....Undo the 3X 13MM nuts....With a jack underneath the control arm, lower it down, with the wheel removed, until the thread just drops below the tower....Turn the plate, so the plate is as above....With the 2nd person, jack it up slowly, watching your hands don't get caught, until the thread goes through the tower....Do the bolts up and away you go.

If you still have too much camber, you might get away with K-ma adjustable strut tops....If not, your struts will be bent....This is easily seen, by looking where the tube thickens, down near the stub axle....You should see evidence of paint cracking.

As for adjusting the toe, yes, undoing the tie rod end nut and turning the rack end adjusts the toe....However getting the correct toe adjustment requires measurements, which I can explain if required.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, to adjust camber and caster, you rotate the bearing plate....The position for the most camber and caster is with the "centre" of the plate to be firewall side, outer side as you look at it.

To adjust, it is best to have 2 people....Undo the 3X 13MM nuts....With a jack underneath the control arm, lower it down, with the wheel removed, until the thread just drops below the tower....Turn the plate, so the plate is as above....With the 2nd person, jack it up slowly, watching your hands don't get caught, until the thread goes through the tower....Do the bolts up and away you go.

If you still have too much camber, you might get away with K-ma adjustable strut tops....If not, your struts will be bent....This is easily seen, by looking where the tube thickens, down near the stub axle....You should see evidence of paint cracking.

As for adjusting the toe, yes, undoing the tie rod end nut and turning the rack end adjusts the toe....However getting the correct toe adjustment requires measurements, which I can explain if required.

So to get the most camber, i have the centre towards the firewall/facing out a bit?
Least camber would be the opposite?
What about the plate between the spring and the bearing plate? How do i have that for the least camber?
Trouble is as well i dont have a working jack :rolleyes:
I have adjusted toe before, on an old inta, tape measure required

Know anyone in Toowoomba area have a VN steering column they dont want?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Do we really need the pathetic poll that has nothing to do with the question in the thread?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Sounds like you're ill equipped with knowledge or equipment to do this yourself. Pay the $55 and have it professionally done.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do we really need the pathetic poll that has nothing to do with the question in the thread?
Do we really need non topic related replys?
Learn to understand when some one is f&*king around
It for a laugh

Sounds like you're ill equipped with knowledge or equipment to do this yourself. Pay the $55 and have it professionally done.

I know how to do toe, and im gonna try to do the other. two.. i was ill equipped to change my springs, but hey i managed
And im a tight ass... and have no money

Reaction score
Members Ride
And its $70 here for me
@$12 an hour pay, i dont have much money left over for proffesionals

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Do we really need non topic related replys?
Learn to understand when some one is f&*king around
It for a laugh

I know how to do toe, and im gonna try to do the other. two.. i was ill equipped to change my springs, but hey i managed
And im a tight ass... and have no money

School is for ******* around. Making adjustments on cars that have the potential to turn it into a death trap if done wrong is not ******* around.

And just remember you posted the off topic poll, poll deleted. IF you want to talk smack then take it to the pub but keep it out of the technical sections!

BTW, defeating the swear filter is against forum rules!

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
And its $70 here for me
@$12 an hour pay, i dont have much money left over for proffesionals
It'll end up being false economy. Guaranteed you wont get it close enough trying to eyeball and guesstimate measurements and will end up chewing out your new tyres quicker, costing you more in the long run. Just because a car is tracking straight doesnt mean the toe measurements are correct.

Shop around, anyone doing front end alignments for more than $50 is ripping people a new asshole.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Burning Rubber never listens to people that have knowledge and to do things the right way. Best let him go for it and scrub out a set of tyres and then he might realise that cars cost money..... ;);)