Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn series 1 to Series 2 3800

Loosekid187

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
Gday! this is my first post, i come to this forums alot for help over the years.

my question is, the top of the engine where the injectors and throttle body connect to (the part with the 3800 written on it), is that changeable between the S1 and S2? say S2 block with S1 head (i have had a mind blank, not sure if thats the correct name)

anyway, the reason is, my mate screwed my S1 engine and all i can find is a bloody S2 motors.

if i have to put the S2 in, how much or a Pain in the Ass is it going to be to change it all over? Wiring cooling etc?

Last edited:

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore

Loosekid187

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
:bomb: i hate iphones..............

ok cheers. im trying to track down a series 1 motor, to save the trouble, but its not easy in this town (cairns)

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
Haha edit function ftw.

I have that same problem sometimes when it comes to parts. Have you checked the bay?

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
OK,i may be misreading your post but a S2 motor just bolts straight in,only thing you have to do is play around with the radiator connections,i just put in a new Radiator with cap and a coolant tank,surge tank goes in the bin.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
head are interchangable but require the correct intake manifold.

S2 manifold will bolt onto a s1 head but requires drilling holes in the head for the pcv system and s2 gaskets.

S1 intake manifold will bolt onto s2 head but will have a massive hole where the manifold won't cover the pcv system holes (this is bad and will leak lots of oil)

Swap the entire motor over, it's a bolt in swap, all you'll need to do is extend the cts plug/wire , replace the radiator with a s2/vp/vr/vs one and change the coolant res bottle to the newer one, less hassle that swapping heads if the engine you can get is a good runner. The loom is not interchangeable easily and the plugs are different where it connects to the dash & body looms. There are no gains from using a s1 manifold.... the thermostat is in a prick of a spot if you need to change it and the hose connecting to it is a pain to replace if it blows.... s2/vp/vr injectors, rail and fuel pressure reg are more attainable if needing to replace, the s1 coolant bottle is hard to find a good replacement if anything happens to it and you can't really easily bypass it as it's needed (although i have seen some nifty mods)
S1 heads have probably done a lot of km's and need work (recessed valves, guides etc etc), the more poke off the line of a s1 engine is all in the cam which isn't easily interchangeable (well it is but why pull half the motor apart to do it when it's probably worn etc etc)

Last edited:

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
If you want to fit the S1 intake manifold you will need to block the holes Jxw mentioned. It's no big deal, couple of welch plugs, from memory about 20mm.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
and change the rocker covers, s1 have a pipe from the left rocker cover for the pcv system.
S2 as above have the pcv system cast into the intake manifold and don't have the pipe

Loosekid187

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
Sorry for the late reply, I have been in hospital, car still not working. I want to keep the S1 motor in my car. I have series 2 heads and top air intake manifold. I been reading though these forums for the last half hour, and I'm struggling to find a proper answer to this question.

Can I bolt the series 2 heads and top intake on the S1 block, if so what do I have to do to make it run correctly?

Also, if anyone has a set or know where I can find a set of Series 1 heads that are in ok condition, please inbox me, this is starting to drive me insane.

And because I have a manual, trying to find another motor with a manual crank is extremely hard.

Last edited: