Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Series 2 - VR Bellmouth

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Ok i'm going to post this as it is the cheapest mod and one that is asked about a fair bit.
Ok this only applies to Series 2 VN's thru to the VR.
Firstly the bellmouth was fitted to improve air distrabution to the rear cylinders providing an even air:fuel mixture for the whole engine, giving a smoother idle.
So from what I just said there is a chance that the idle may not be as smooth as previously but hey, when are the Buick 6's ever smooth ;)
Now I'm not promossing any increase in power but, you will find you will have an increase in throttle response.
I have included a picture to show the location of the bellmouth and will write up some step-by-step instructions on it's removal abit later.
Cheers AirStrike (Dave)

MoSkA

Steriotypical Wog
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Subaru WRX
It's said that if you get a CAI (Cold Air Intake) after taking out the bellmouth. The engine will idle pretty much normally.
Without a CAI it is said the engine will idle rougher.
I can vouch for the engine being rough without a CAI and Bellmouth.

matt2950

Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VN CALAIS 5.0
Not Smooth ?

Just a quick 1 .. every1 in here says that buick v6's arent "smooth".. LOL i disagree totaly, i have never driven a car with a smoother / more powerful & echanomical motor than a good ol commodore. Maybe you all need volvo's !! smooth as a baby's bum

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Ummm what are you comparing the smoothness of a Buick V6 to?? A Camira with no compression in to cylinders?? lol, nah she aint that bad but I had better....
AirStrike :air:

soulyouth

Space Docker
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold for scrap :(
This Is A Great Mod, N Easy to Do

This is a Step by Step removel Guide that I found in one of my old mags thought it might be handy

Click here for Guide

Attachments

• bellmonth.jpg
    bellmonth.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 2,354
Last edited:

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
i think his last ride must've been a kb ford laser running on 3 cylinders. on lpg, with bald tyres, blown driveshafts and cv joints, worn shockers, blocked up exhaust and some uncomfy indian taxi driver bead things over his drivers seat to call buick smooth! :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

blowera1

FranticTicToc2
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute 3.8l M5
are there any other negatives with removing the bellmouth??? :wave:

blowera1

FranticTicToc2
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute 3.8l M5
also the current issue of aussie brutes has a step by step guide for removing the bellmouth including photos :wave:

Gdawg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6 Police pack
mmmm, might do that today, hang on...Shanghai :confused: ... will try with various intakes anyway (stock, cold, pod, direct, but already has ruff idle & runnin v8 throttle) will get back to you... :)
any more testimonials...

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
it was fitted to improve idle quality & will not decrease power or throttle response, any improvements noticed may just be wishful thinking
As it happens i was in Holden experimental at the time this was done so i have seen first hand the effect on the engine.
Cheers Rob