Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Series 2 - VR Bellmouth

Discussion in 'V6 Development And Modification' started by AirStrike, Nov 22, 2004.

1. AirStrike

AirStrike Administrator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    91' VN SS
    Ok i'm going to post this as it is the cheapest mod and one that is asked about a fair bit.
    Ok this only applies to Series 2 VN's thru to the VR.
    Firstly the bellmouth was fitted to improve air distrabution to the rear cylinders providing an even air:fuel mixture for the whole engine, giving a smoother idle.
    So from what I just said there is a chance that the idle may not be as smooth as previously but hey, when are the Buick 6's ever smooth ;)
    Now I'm not promossing any increase in power but, you will find you will have an increase in throttle response.
    I have included a picture to show the location of the bellmouth and will write up some step-by-step instructions on it's removal abit later.
    Cheers AirStrike (Dave)

2. MoSkA

MoSkA Steriotypical Wog

Members Ride:
    1998 Subaru WRX
    It's said that if you get a CAI (Cold Air Intake) after taking out the bellmouth. The engine will idle pretty much normally.
    Without a CAI it is said the engine will idle rougher.
    I can vouch for the engine being rough without a CAI and Bellmouth.

3. matt2950

matt2950 New Member

Members Ride:
    88 VN CALAIS 5.0
    Not Smooth ?

Just a quick 1 .. every1 in here says that buick v6's arent "smooth".. LOL i disagree totaly, i have never driven a car with a smoother / more powerful & echanomical motor than a good ol commodore. Maybe you all need volvo's !! smooth as a baby's bum

4. AirStrike

AirStrike Administrator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    91' VN SS
    Ummm what are you comparing the smoothness of a Buick V6 to?? A Camira with no compression in to cylinders?? lol, nah she aint that bad but I had better....
    AirStrike :air:

5. soulyouth

soulyouth Space Docker

Members Ride:
    Sold for scrap :(
    This Is A Great Mod, N Easy to Do

This is a Step by Step removel Guide that I found in one of my old mags thought it might be handy

Click here for Guide

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2005
  6. s0sage

s0sage Posting aimlessly ..

Members Ride:
    MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
    i think his last ride must've been a kb ford laser running on 3 cylinders. on lpg, with bald tyres, blown driveshafts and cv joints, worn shockers, blocked up exhaust and some uncomfy indian taxi driver bead things over his drivers seat to call buick smooth! :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

7. blowera1

blowera1 FranticTicToc2

Members Ride:
    VY S Ute 3.8l M5
    are there any other negatives with removing the bellmouth??? :wave:

8. blowera1

blowera1 FranticTicToc2

Members Ride:
    VY S Ute 3.8l M5
    also the current issue of aussie brutes has a step by step guide for removing the bellmouth including photos :wave:

9. Gdawg

Gdawg New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ 3.6 Police pack
    mmmm, might do that today, hang on...Shanghai :confused: ... will try with various intakes anyway (stock, cold, pod, direct, but already has ruff idle & runnin v8 throttle) will get back to you... :)
    any more testimonials...

10. Doctor Bob

Doctor Bob Grandpa

Members Ride:
    RG. Colorado & Caravan
    it was fitted to improve idle quality & will not decrease power or throttle response, any improvements noticed may just be wishful thinking
    As it happens i was in Holden experimental at the time this was done so i have seen first hand the effect on the engine.
    Cheers Rob

11. steane

steane New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Maloo 6spd
    This had me concerned until I realised you are obviously driving a 6 cylinder VL...you are aren't you...???

12. sp001in

sp001in vyma100

Members Ride:
    VY ute
    what do you mean it won't increase / decrease power, after removing it. It's a restriction on the air flow. If you cover half your throttle body with gaffer tape are you saying it won't make a difference.... Of course it will.

fair enough the removal of it may cause the rear two cylinders to lean out a little because the length of the bell mouth puts the incoming air into the centre of the manifold distributing it evenly. hence better idle, but who drives a car on idle???

take the damn thing out, common sense says that car manufacturers create engines to be fuel economic and drivability. If your after power remove it thats all their is to it

13. VT-565

VT-565 New Member

Members Ride:
    VT
    i agree...although maybe a tune might be in order after removal....i know a tune just for that might seem silly, but if thats all you're going to do......

14. was chatting to some mates the other day...they said , if Im gunna take the belmouth out, I shoulld then modify it like in the rather crude drawing I just did.........that way , the air is getting to the middle of the valley, but with less restriction......

Attached Files:

• mod.bmp
      File size:
      87.9 KB
      Views:
  15. wellll got industious enuff to remove the throttle body etc.......all three gaskets were R.S. .........so I made 2 new ones, and gasket-goo-glued the other on....and hacked the daylights outa the Belmouth ( see pic.)...just went to get the Minister of War & Finances....and wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a difference !! !!!!!!! :yeah: :yeah:heaps better in the gear changes......

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2005
  16. soulyouth

soulyouth Space Docker

Members Ride:
    Sold for scrap :(
    hmmmm

I see you cut a fairly big chunk out of the back of that bellmouth but failed to widen the opening of it. You may have opened the back end up, but the air is still getting bottled up at the mouth of the bellmouth, maybe you should have also removed some of the plastic from the opening too.
    Just a thought...................I could be wrong through, the throttle response after taking the bellmouth out completely and having a pod filter right on the Throttle body is insane, you should hear this car suck, with stock pipes it sounds like its got a 2" system :D

17. yea mate......my tankslapper mates said it was best to do it that way......it still resrticts the air a little as the air goes through the bellmouth, but it gets released earlier inside the valley, is how they explained it to me.......i have noticed a helll of a difference...on a hill that she normally takes in 3rd, and kicks back to 2nd ,about 40 mtr from the top, stays in 3rd now all the way to the top ........every gear change is smoother........

18. Fitty

Fitty New Member

Wouldn't removing something that evenly distributes air/fuel lead to non-uniform wear and less power? To my way of thinking, if not every cylinder is getting the same amount of mixture, they can't be working as efficiently as they could be, and if some are getting more/less, then they are going to wear differently. Given that, why would you remove the thing?

19. Why would anybody modify any part ???? To make the car go better, of course......... :rat:

20. bergles

bergles Guest

i just gave ripping it out a go, and i also cleaned out my throttle body, but when i reassembled it, my fuel rail on the left side (looking from the front) is making a high pitched almost mechanical like noise. no engine light though. has anyone got any answers to this. at first i forgot to put a vacuum hose on the back of the throttle body then started it... heard the whoosh sound then reconnected the hose, now it is just my fuel rail making noise