Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Series 2 - VR Bellmouth

whitevg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG commodore 3.8
Took it out and it made no difference what so ever. Leave it in, it's there for a reason.

Holdens123

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 vr commodore manual
Look I'm new to this sight but I am a mechanic don't take your bellmouth put if u do be prepared to Reco your moter as it will burn out your rear cylinders and your valves as they put it there becals the rear cylinders weren't firing correctly u can modify it bye cuting a small portion of the top of the bellmouth off but uther than that you are crazy to compleatly remove it :)

Jack_vs_BT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs BT1
Vn S1s never had em mine cops a hard time with 100hp of gas jammed down it's throat and I've never had an issue

mossy14

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore 3.8
took it out , next day blew a hole in my muffler dnt know how and my fuel gauge is dropping twice as fast , runs rougher , ive been staring at it and it actually stopped for a milly sec like it missfired

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
took it out , next day blew a hole in my muffler dnt know how and my fuel gauge is dropping twice as fast , runs rougher , ive been staring at it and it actually stopped for a milly sec like it missfired

I remember you saying you did the inlet manifold gaskets at the same time.

Did you torque the inlet manifold bolts correctly (e.g with a torque wrench), if you do them up with a standard wrench or spanner chances are you will over tighten them and damage the gasket, the car will then run rough as you have created a giant vacuum leak.....I see it far too often with V6's, terrible design those plastic gaskets.

Removing the bellmouth shouldn't cause the issues you are describing.

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
I took mine out a while back and observed the results....

Prior to removal the rear 2 plugs were getting a little foul (not sure why) so i thought if the rear cylinders lean out a bit like people say it should be good.
So i took it out and then drove about as usual for a few weeks. Engine idles fairly rough but got slight increase in low end torque. I like to rev the crap out of it and it sounds good up high, maybe better than before.

Then i took out all spark plugs and did a check. They're all spot on. Fouling gone on rear 2 they look tan like all the others.

I searched a bit on here too and i remember a post by greenfoam (i think, could even be inside this thread) where he says the bellmouth gives good air distribution at idle but suboptimal at high revs. With it removed you get good distribution up high, but suboptimal at idle. I can see why Holden decided to fit one now.

mossy14

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore 3.8
I remember you saying you did the inlet manifold gaskets at the same time.

Did you torque the inlet manifold bolts correctly (e.g with a torque wrench), if you do them up with a standard wrench or spanner chances are you will over tighten them and damage the gasket, the car will then run rough as you have created a giant vacuum leak.....I see it far too often with V6's, terrible design those plastic gaskets.

Removing the bellmouth shouldn't cause the issues you are describing.

yea had 2 go buy a 3/8 torqe wrench jst 4 the job did everythg right, tho i shouldnt put sealent around the gaskets ( coolant passes ) , i did put it in the four corners tho, how do i cheack 4 vacum leak? 2 my understanding u get a piece of hose (my garden hose do? ) and put it 2 ur ear and cheack around?

probs gona cut the bellmouth it and put it back in,

Simz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP commodore
Introduced in 1995, the Series II is quite a different engine. Although the stroke for the 3.8 L engine remained at 3.4 in (86 mm), and the bore remained at 3.8 in (97 mm), the engine architecture was vastly changed. The piston connecting rods were 1 in (25 mm) shorter, so the crankshaft was redesigned. A new intake manifold improved breathing, and a new cylinder head had larger valves. The result was 205 hp (153 kW) and 230 ft.lbf (312 Nm), better fuel economy, and 26 lb (12 kg) lighter overall weight.

The 3800 Series II was on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 1995 through 1997.

[edit]L36
The L36 was the first Series II version of the 3800. It has a 96.52 mm bore and 86.36 mm stroke for 3.8 L (3791 cc) of displacement. Power is 205 hp (153 kW) and torque is 230 ft.lbf (312 Nm). It was first introduced in 1995.

This engine is or was used in the following vehicles:

Buick Park Avenue
Buick Le Sabre
Buick Regal
Buick Riviera
Chevrolet Camaro
Chevrolet Impala
Chevrolet Lumina LTZ
Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Pontiac Bonneville
Pontiac Firebird
Pontiac Grand Prix
Oldsmobile Delta 88
Oldsmobile Intrigue
Oldsmobile LSS
Holden Commodore[/QUOT

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
...where did u get these stats from?? Coz every mag, book, manual & everything ive ever read, all says quite different : VN = 125kw VP = 127kw VR = 130kw VS = 147kw L67 = 171kw 5.0 VN-VS = 165kw VS s3 = 168kw bar SS & HSV
Make sure you take note of the dates on these threads - it's considered poor forum etiquette to dig up old threads. Especially for no good reason.

Considering the post you quoted was quoting vehicles from the U.S., and the fact that there are only small differences in the quoted power I'd say the difference is because of setup and tune in the American models.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
^^ What he said!