Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Series 2 - VR Bellmouth

steane

Reaction score
Website
www.carupdate.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Maloo 6spd
matt2950 said:
Just a quick 1 .. every1 in here says that buick v6's arent "smooth".. LOL i disagree totaly, i have never driven a car with a smoother / more powerful & echanomical motor than a good ol commodore. Maybe you all need volvo's !! smooth as a baby's bum
This had me concerned until I realised you are obviously driving a 6 cylinder VL...you are aren't you...???

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
what do you mean it won't increase / decrease power, after removing it. It's a restriction on the air flow. If you cover half your throttle body with gaffer tape are you saying it won't make a difference.... Of course it will.

fair enough the removal of it may cause the rear two cylinders to lean out a little because the length of the bell mouth puts the incoming air into the centre of the manifold distributing it evenly. hence better idle, but who drives a car on idle???

take the damn thing out, common sense says that car manufacturers create engines to be fuel economic and drivability. If your after power remove it thats all their is to it

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
sp001in said:
what do you mean it won't increase / decrease power, after removing it. It's a restriction on the air flow. If you cover half your throttle body with gaffer tape are you saying it won't make a difference.... Of course it will.

fair enough the removal of it may cause the rear two cylinders to lean out a little because the length of the bell mouth puts the incoming air into the centre of the manifold distributing it evenly. hence better idle, but who drives a car on idle???

take the damn thing out, common sense says that car manufacturers create engines to be fuel economic and drivability. If your after power remove it thats all their is to it
i agree...although maybe a tune might be in order after removal....i know a tune just for that might seem silly, but if thats all you're going to do......

R

rattattack1313

was chatting to some mates the other day...they said , if Im gunna take the belmouth out, I shoulld then modify it like in the rather crude drawing I just did.........that way , the air is getting to the middle of the valley, but with less restriction......

Attachments

• mod.bmp
    87.9 KB · Views: 2,460
R

rattattack1313

wellll got industious enuff to remove the throttle body etc.......all three gaskets were R.S. .........so I made 2 new ones, and gasket-goo-glued the other on....and hacked the daylights outa the Belmouth ( see pic.)...just went to get the Minister of War & Finances....and wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a difference !! !!!!!!! :yeah: :yeah:heaps better in the gear changes......

Attachments

• Belmouth.jpg
    Belmouth.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,803
Last edited by a moderator:

soulyouth

Space Docker
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold for scrap :(
hmmmm

I see you cut a fairly big chunk out of the back of that bellmouth but failed to widen the opening of it. You may have opened the back end up, but the air is still getting bottled up at the mouth of the bellmouth, maybe you should have also removed some of the plastic from the opening too.
Just a thought...................I could be wrong through, the throttle response after taking the bellmouth out completely and having a pod filter right on the Throttle body is insane, you should hear this car suck, with stock pipes it sounds like its got a 2" system :D

R

rattattack1313

yea mate......my tankslapper mates said it was best to do it that way......it still resrticts the air a little as the air goes through the bellmouth, but it gets released earlier inside the valley, is how they explained it to me.......i have noticed a helll of a difference...on a hill that she normally takes in 3rd, and kicks back to 2nd ,about 40 mtr from the top, stays in 3rd now all the way to the top ........every gear change is smoother........

Fitty

Reaction score
Wouldn't removing something that evenly distributes air/fuel lead to non-uniform wear and less power? To my way of thinking, if not every cylinder is getting the same amount of mixture, they can't be working as efficiently as they could be, and if some are getting more/less, then they are going to wear differently. Given that, why would you remove the thing?

R

rattattack1313

Why would anybody modify any part ???? To make the car go better, of course......... :rat:

B

bergles

i just gave ripping it out a go, and i also cleaned out my throttle body, but when i reassembled it, my fuel rail on the left side (looking from the front) is making a high pitched almost mechanical like noise. no engine light though. has anyone got any answers to this. at first i forgot to put a vacuum hose on the back of the throttle body then started it... heard the whoosh sound then reconnected the hose, now it is just my fuel rail making noise