Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Series 2 - VR Bellmouth

djlingard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I just removed the bell mouth from my 93 vr acclaim with 150k on the clock runs a lot better smoother gear changes and a lot beefier sound through the 2 1/2 inch system. also have k&n panel filter so maybe that has something to do with it. My mate tried it on his 93 vr acclaim with 300k on the clock with a pod filter and it made it run crappy so i think each to there own and give it a go.

shaunzo101

shaunzo101
Reaction score
Members Ride
b
yep i took it outa my vr and i got sick of the rough idle...just sitting there at traffic lights it gets annoying because it sounds like the motors about to idle out and turn off as the revs are swaying up and down. I must admit there is better response, for example when your on the highway and you step your foot down a third you can definitely notice, but put the bellmouth back in and it actualy runs more quick from take off! Don't bother taking it out just a waste of time.

djlingard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I too experianced a bit of a rough idle but replaced the oxygen sensor and runs like a dream now.

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
I cut the bellmouth like seen above and it works a treat! No missfire no farting. Worth doing!!!!!

Last edited:

XRUFFX

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VT II LS1
well i have a 93 vr calais...and i took it out....it idles like a pig as im sure we've all dsicussed and like someone mentioned, i do get a slight misfire, i removed mine jsut after i got the car, so i cant say i notice if its better or worse...i ahd it running with a pod, and i also have cai...stoopid i know, but i alternate between the two. it sucks like a mo-fo with the pod nd no bellmouth...but i got sick of that, like REALI sik of it, i now run it with a fairly dodgy looking cai, and its quite quik i must say....but as i said, iv not reali driven it any other way...but, reading threw this thread, sp001in with his VQ and the pic of the snapt cam has freakt me out....i pulled apart the motor for a new inlet gasket and noticed, that after 14yrs and 3XX,XXXkms, the amount of built up CRAP was gross...so i cleaned rockers, pushy's etc, but i did also noitce but didnt think at the time, that the last 2cyl's were HEAPS cleaner then the others....i cant imagine this is much of a good thing...i dont know tho...also, with the guy that complained wen he removed his bellmouth that his idle went stupid, so did mine. i reset the ecu and its fine now. but it was going up nd down from 200rpm to like urs near 2500...so yeah, unplugged ecu for a while nd during that time i cleaned and polished the throttle body, and she was fine...i gotta say the beefy idle is quite kool...sounds lumpy as...but i do worry that things arnt being distributed evenly...mind you, im not sure i know where my bellmouth is, so, i could b without one unless i go to a wrecker lol ....at then end of the day, its up to the individual i ges...

anythingv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6 wagon
gooday room,

i was just reading about all of the above with the bellmouth and all, a while ago i bought a vr v6 wagon and im not sure whether it still has the bellmouth or not but the car does run similiar to mentioned above that it idles a bit rough. i bought a factory cai for it from ebay and hoping there will be better results from it. from what i herd, when you do take out the bellmouth, i herd to tune it you have to hold the revs at around 2500-3000 rpm for about a minute or so to get the engine tuned in once it has the bellmouth taken out, could anyone tell me whether thats true or not

Cheers

vxhilr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 MANUAL
you could remove the whole bell mouth, however i found when i cut it in 1/2 it worked alot better than it did with out it totally removed

anyone else given this a go?

gsxrdan

Has this got a turbo?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP Excec; 95 II VR Equipe; 99 VT Exec
rs 2000, howdy, i have a v6 vr also (series 2) seems you be th man to ask, just what does work well? hit me with some low budget mods that you have proved to work - please!!!

FirstVR_JC

Reaction score
Members Ride
RALLIART Magna
I have been considering putting the bellmouth back in for a while .... Today i thought i would just do it and take the car for a drive with it in.
I can say that i am defiently taking it back out again!! My VR drives much better with it out than in .... the idle is just a tiny, tiny bit rougher but the extra throttle response i get is easily noticeable.
I modified my cai the other day by cutting the inlet much wider so the extra air may prevent the cylinders from leaning out.
I reccommend taking the Bellmouth out!

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
I modified my cai the other day by cutting the inlet much wider so the extra air may prevent the cylinders from leaning out.
I reccommend taking the Bellmouth out!

the volume of air coming in is not the issue, it is the even distribution of that air...