Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn series one, manual engine compatibility?

VRV666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8 exec, big pajero, 5speed vn v6 play car
I have just picked up a vn series one manual with a blown enging which im going to use for hill climb purposes. Problem is, its been a while since ive tinkered with the old vn's and I have now forgotten which engine I can put in its place.... Will a series 2 engine slot in? For memories they wont but maybe someone could solve this 4 me. What engines can I expect to slot into it??? Its a v6 btw.

jakewaze

Jakewaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Spack S1 Auto
a buick six

Rhino Racing

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn/vp Speedway Street Sedan
Crankshafts are different so if it is a manual you will need a different flywheel.
Also the thermostat housing is diff so will need to be replumbed. (Series 1 is between engine and firewall.)
I have a series 1 engine that i pulled out of one of my cars not that long ago that runs well...... Where do you live?

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
to replumb it all u need to do is make the cooling sytem have a bleed point reduce from high pressure to low pressure

VRV666

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have a series one engine sitting in the car we already race. Wasnt sure but I thought that there was some issue stopping a series one auto engine butting up to a series one manual. If the engine I already has will butt up to the gear box that will be problem solved.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
s1 manual and auto cranks are different

VRV666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers immortality, I just did a google on it and found a few handy bit and pieces about it, even from this forum lol. Thats what I thought, but I had plenty of people trying to tell me differently. Think I will stick to my own thoughts from now on :p

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
cheers mate,

there is a good thread in the V6 developement section that shows all the different VNs1 to ecotec cranks with pics and descriptions of what can and can't be done with em