Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Series2/VP V6 Grinding Noise

Freddy510

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden V8 Hilux, VP V6 Hilux, VT V6 Hiace.
I have a VN Series2 V6 fitted in a Hilux 2wd with a 5speed Toyota box behind it. I bought the enine 2nd hand with 165,000k's on it. There is a grinding/ whirring sound coming from the engine. I have elimnated the box as the cause and also taken the belt off the front of the motor to eliminate the pumps and alternator, etc. Noise follows engine revs. No noise on start up and starts to "whirr" after a couple of minutes running and is constant. (And no my wife is not in the car! Ha!) Sounds like a blower whine. Engine makes good power and drives fine. I can sometimes feel it vibrate through the steering wheel and the floor of the car.
Got a feeling it may be bearings. or even a crank thrust bearing maybe.

Any clues before I pull the engine guys?

Thanks Freddy

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
might be the balancer shaft in the top. its got shitty needle rollers at either end. and its run via straight cut gears onto the cam. so it will increase as revs go up. try the screw driver to ear to try and see if its that

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
if it was the bearings on the mains you might also pick up a oil pressure problem

Freddy510

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks mate. I was thinking along the same lines. Sounds like it is coming from the top of the motor using the screwdriver to the ear. First thought it was the alternator but isolated that straight up. The noise does sound like straight cut gears whirring. If the neddle roolers are stuffed the gears won't be meshing right and get noisey real quick.

Have you done the balancer bearings before? Any dramas to know about? I have built lots of V8 motors, but never palyed with these V6's

Thanks for the help,

Freddy.

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
no real dramas just getting it square and in without killing it is all

walker-group-a-ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Commodore Series 2 GROUP A SS MOCK
i have a problem i have a 1993 vp commodore v6 and when i started the car the was a strange noise coming from the engine, it sounds like a sratching grinding sound, sounds like the noise is coming from or near the alternator but not.? it idles rough now please help asap coz dont know what it is and what could happen

Freddy510

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Zuicider. I should be able to do it in the car.
G'day Walker. The noise you describe sounds like mine, and sometimes the idle does get a little rough. Like mine you should take the belt off & have a listen using a long screwdriver (or piece of hose) to the block and try to pin point where the noise is coming from. Flick the belt off to eliminate the alternator, water pump, steer pump and air con from the puzzle. Rememeber to watch the temp due no water pump!!

I spoke to a mate that runs a general mechanical workshop and he reckons that he has never heard of the Balance Shaft bearings going U/S. The old story, you learn something new everyday. It will be real interesting to have a look at these bearings when I pull it apart. Sounds to me from what I have read on this forum after doing a search that it happens a fair bit.

Freddy

redcedar

workaholic
Reaction score
Members Ride
Alto Grey MY12 SS
had a similar problem .It turned out to be the harmonic balancer !!

21AZI

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Turbo

Last edited by a moderator:

Freddy510

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks guys,

I have a spare balancer I will swap it. Balancer feels OK, you never know until it is spinning though.

21AZI. Your SC engine will definitely fix it. If I am going to do a swap that needs the Engineers Cert on the car (Hilux 2wd) redone a 383 cu in Chev V8/ 6 speed (or maybe LS2/3) will be going in. When O bought this ute I was looking for a roller for a V8 swap. It already had a V6 so I will leave it this way and more than likely built another V8 powered ute from scratch. Great idea though and I have thought about it very seriously over the last couple of months. With a SCV6 it would be a very quick ute!! The Toyota is only 1380kgs + lots of HP= FUN!

Freddy