Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn shutting off wen driving

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
a faulty dfi module normally results in either misfire or no starting

what rpm do you call low? in drive stopped still foot on brake?

yon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn
does the battery warning light come on sometimes?

ybl8te

Reaction score
Members Ride
calis vn v8
my vn v8 also cuts out. But only when i go around a right hand corner and when the G's come on..

So basically have to be going hard around a right hand tight corner......

The engine cuts out - instruments - everything, then when the G's come off it cuts in again.....

First time it happened, well - i shat my self. Was slowly drifting to the kurb (no engine to drive me out of the corner) then the last second it cut in........

Thinking electrical, something moves and rubs on the body......OR the oil sloshes to the left of the motor and sensor cuts the motor out ???? When it does happen, it happens fast and of course i have my eyes on the road - so have not notice what comes up on the instrument panel either....

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
my vn v8 also cuts out. But only when i go around a right hand corner and when the G's come on..

So basically have to be going hard around a right hand tight corner......

The engine cuts out - instruments - everything, then when the G's come off it cuts in again.....

First time it happened, well - i shat my self. Was slowly drifting to the kurb (no engine to drive me out of the corner) then the last second it cut in........

Thinking electrical, something moves and rubs on the body......OR the oil sloshes to the left of the motor and sensor cuts the motor out ???? When it does happen, it happens fast and of course i have my eyes on the road - so have not notice what comes up on the instrument panel either....

Ive seen a very similar problem,it was happening for months,it would just cut out around certain corners,no one could find what was happening.We tracked it down to being the main + power wire that goes from the battery,to the bolt that goes into the bottom of the middle fusible link,the fusible links are located down in front of the fuse box in the engine bay.Just follow the wires from the positive battery terminal if you cant find it.Theres a little black plastic door that pulls open so you can access this bolt,the bolt has to be removed if you want to replace the middle fusible link,and what had happened was the battery was moving around slightly from side to side when cornering,which was moving this power wire,this movement eventually caused the join where the wire has the connector crimped to it, to pull out of the connector, but it was making bad contact for ages and stopping the car, before it finally broke completely.If yours is cutting out,check the battery for any sideways movement,if there is,see if it moves this wire,and check the crimped connection behind the little plastic door.

ybl8te

Reaction score
Members Ride
calis vn v8
Ive seen a very similar problem,it was happening for months,it would just cut out around certain corners,no one could find what was happening.We tracked it down to being the main + power wire that goes from the battery,to the bolt that goes into the bottom of the middle fusible link,the fusible links are located down in front of the fuse box in the engine bay.Just follow the wires from the positive battery terminal if you cant find it.Theres a little black plastic door that pulls open so you can access this bolt,the bolt has to be removed if you want to replace the middle fusible link,and what had happened was the battery was moving around slightly from side to side when cornering,which was moving this power wire,this movement eventually caused the join where the wire has the connector crimped to it, to pull out of the connector, but it was making bad contact for ages and stopping the car, before it finally broke completely.If yours is cutting out,check the battery for any sideways movement,if there is,see if it moves this wire,and check the crimped connection behind the little plastic door.

Thanks - i will have a look, i am thinking this could be it, I do know my battery does move and will make a bracket for this, thou still will look at the connection.....then find a good right hand corner and get the LSD working again !

nudge701

Reaction score
Members Ride
89' VN Calais. 99' vs statsman sIII
a faulty dfi module normally results in either misfire or no starting

what rpm do you call low? in drive stopped still foot on brake?

Yer in drive nd foot on brake rpm drops 2 bout 500 - 600

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
hijackers~! love that they know what cable causes that though screwed me for a while one day!~

anyway thats not really excessively low idle is about 100 rpm off very close might be old motor okay
if raising the idle is all you want to do turn the stop screw on the throttle lever at the throttle body
(where your accelorator cable goes)
but be aware if you turn it to far it can set codes and faults in the transmission
it should idle at about 700rpm in gear on brake BUT cars are individuals sometimes and may be + or - like 80-100 rpm
so im not sure of the spec but if you turn it up abit it may not stall as often...
you could just need to increase your idle speed a bit

but without seeing/hearing car and faults i would say that the two problems arent related.

so cutting out likely to be crank angle sensor (common as you can see above)
but with out checking codes you wont know if its something else as if say for e.g. air sensor dies and stops car would set code...
where as the crank sensor is stand alone monitoed meaning unlesss its a weak signal rarther than a complete loss of signal
(they just die no signal normally) the engine light is not likely to come on

without having you chase your arse around
i would personally:
1.check codes if any stored (follow that code if stored)
2. check wiring connector on crank angle sensor is plugged in and tight (and terminals clean inside the connector)
3.check throttle body is clean from gunk etc, (especially around the butterfly of the throttle inside it)

if none of these help i would personally be watching a data display of the motor while the fault is happening to narrow it down to a specific sensor dropping out
or reading ridicously, for you that woulod mean getting a mech to look at it JUST to DIAGNOSE it for you
that way if you CAN fit the part yourself youll save some dollars