Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Speedo

Dave Fish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
Hi team, Have had a search through forum but have had no luck with this problem. Speedo (Mileage numbers) in misses vn stopped working so replaced cogs as one was broken but the numbers still don't tick over, I have pulled apart and checked I assembled correct but still nothing....is there something Im missing or could it be something electrical in the speedo cluster its self ?
Cheers

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
When swapping in new cogs make no gunk or broken bits syill in there.

Then do dummy test turn cogs make sure odometer numbers working once 100% certain it works close it.

Whoever drives the car tell them to never push reset button whilst car moving as it will shear plastic teeth of the cogs...only hit reset when car is stationary & they should last another decade.

Dave Fish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
When swapping in new cogs make no gunk or broken bits syill in there.

Then do dummy test turn cogs make sure odometer numbers working once 100% certain it works close it.

Whoever drives the car tell them to never push reset button whilst car moving as it will shear plastic teeth of the cogs...only hit reset when car is stationary & they should last another decade.
Done all of the above and haven't had a chance to reset numbers as they haven't moved, have pulled apart again and nothing is broken or binding

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
So when you had little cover off you kept turn cogs to make sure odometers went up a few numbers?

If you did & 100% on it then mechanically it was done correct...most people don't check odometer numbers moving.

Dave Fish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
So when you had little cover off you kept turn cogs to make sure odometers went up a few numbers?

If you did & 100% on it then mechanically it was done correct...most people don't check odometer numbers moving.
Yeap sure did and then reset before putting dash back together so I'd know if they were working.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If speedo is still working correctly & you say odometer works too then something weird has happened

Dave Fish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
If speedo is still working correctly & you say odometer works too then something weird has happened
Yea there's a electronic/magnetic piece ontop which you unscrew I wonder if something has wrong with that or the small wires have got damaged when I removed

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
I once replaced yellow cog and still didn’t work. Turned out the gray cog was broken too..

Dave Fish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
Update. Got another cluster which had broken cog to so replaced with new cogs and works fine so as I suspected there was an electronic fault in original cluster.