Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN SS proof of interior

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Thanks for the info mate, appreciate it. I think you’re right too, the HSV speedo went up to 240, and this ones only 220. Good pickup. Must be Calais/statesman.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
"Other telltale is think hsv cars had the higher speedo reading compared to non-hsv dash "- don't HSV clusters have the lion between the speedo and tacho?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You can tell the generation of the cluster by the font style the lcd displays use. Airbox is probably worth $400 -500 complete. If it were the sv version they are worth considerably more.

Last edited:

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Yeah it looks to be done pretty well, as far as the interior. I’m struggling to find examples of door cards that look the same as these ones?? So the seats appear the same as VR Senator, but the door cards of VR senators are different? The VQ statesman ones are similar, but has fabric all over the inside of the door. They’re not from group A, SV89, SV5000, VP Calais, VR is VS Calais or statesman?? It’s got me stumped.

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
You can tell the generation of the cluster by the font style the lcd displays use. Airbox is probably worth $400 -500 complete. If it were the sv version they are worth considerably more.

good info on the font style. Looking through pics of VN-VR, this SS seems to have a VN style cluster. The VR onwards had fatter digital text, compared to the VN era ones. Could be factory?? The SV5000 has the HSV logo in the middle, group A doesn’t. Group A also only goes to 220, like this one. The doors seem closest to the SV5000 with the little red light under the arm rest bit. The style of seat looks very close to the group A, but seems to be VR Senator, but could they have been based off the group A seats? The doors on the Vr Senator don’t look the same as this one, and obviously have the HSV logo on the fabric bit. Seems like a lot of effort to replicate that, and not have the HSV logo on there??
It’s all a bit strange. The current owner reckons the bloke that sold it to him, said it was all original except the gearbox conversion, and that it was very rare (that’s what everyone says though) it’s all period correct, down to the red engine covers (which were used on the SV5000) the air box, and the door card design of where there’s fabric and where there’s not. Maybe he was telling the truth??

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
I think its a bitsa to be honest.

Only way to verify is through Holden - could be one of those weird one off builds they did through hsv enhanced, but then there is bugger all documentation on those.

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Just seems weird to have things from so many different eras (not that they’re that far apart) dash is VN era, seats seem to be VR, door cards have the same cloth pattern as the seats, but the design of the door itself, and the little red light seem to be VN era. It seems odd to get the seats from a VR Senator, and have the little door infill bit without the HSV logo on it? The seats don’t bother me, that’s easy to change, if the dash was original that’d be good cause I’d know the kms are genuine, but that might never be known.

I emailed Holden and asked them for any info and provided the VIN, but they said they wouldn’t release any info unless I was the owner. If things were dealer upgrades after the fact, I guess I’ll never know.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Not sure if mid 30's is the going rate for a VN SS, but it does have stuff that costs a fortune these days. Good luck finding those seats and brakes on ebay, even a v8 T5 manual conversion kit is thin on the ground these days!

Do you mean the courtesy lights in the doors? My VP Calais has them.

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Not sure if mid 30's is the going rate for a VN SS, but it does have stuff that costs a fortune these days. Good luck finding those seats and brakes on ebay, even a v8 T5 manual conversion kit is thin on the ground these days!

Do you mean the courtesy lights in the doors? My VP Calais has them.
Yeah the red square ones on the doors.

struggle to find a VN SS for under 30 these days, most hover around low to mid 30s, then you get the low km ones with history that’ll push above 40. They’re few and far between these days, and most are auto. I’m leaning towards this one, over a red auto I’ve also been looking at, even with all its non standard items. I think the value will only increase, but original cars will always go higher than modified. I guess it comes down to what I would enjoy driving more, and what I like the looks of more. Grey 5 speed wins that one hands down