Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN SS proof of interior

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yep that’s the group a/gts front setup. They’re a corvette c4 caliper, basically the older version of the newer 330mm hsv brakes except they’re a little smaller. This upgrade doesn’t need a larger master cylinder than stock v8. They are period correct for your vehicle. Not amazing but better than stock. Can fit most 16’s with these brakes. Rear brakes look the same, but use a thicker disc than standard and calipers are wider to suit but still use stock pads.

I sold a set about 18 months ago to a member on here - they’re worth about the same as the 330mm upgrade.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yep period correct c4 caliper & 1 piece 330mm disc by looks of it...actually prefer that setup as it works with stock v8 booster & m/cyl.

To fit vn ss rims would need to fit ribbed single piston caliper (vn-s) & 290mm disc.

Or swap simmons for vy signatures to match period mods.....way down the track if really bored maybe do small brakes/stock ss rims.

Best thing about that car it's already been messed with so may as well change looks/mods as you feel like it.

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Yeah I always liked the Sigs, or VX GTS. There’s some copies out there for less than 2k for rims and tyres, but I’ve heard some horror stories about copy rims and them pretty much falling apart while driving......

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
So after agreeing on price, and the seller agreeing to get the car licensed, calls me yesterday (after I’ve been checking weekly how it’s coming along) and says there’s a guy there ready to buy it on the spot. Not cool. I do all the ground work, take the time to drive 50 minutes away to view it, negotiate price etc, and then it gets sold out from under me for a few k more than we’d agreed. So that was ****, now I’m either gunna have to wait for another 5 speed to come up (which is pretty rare these days) or settle for the red auto.

so, if I settle for the auto, my question is one that’s been asked millions of times (yes I read through older forums but I guess they’re not really relevant now) is it even plausible these days, to try and convert it to a 5 speed?? I assume I’d need a donor car which will be bloody hard to find. Are there places around that would do it and supply parts?? Like drive in auto, drive out manual? Or am I dreaming??

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
So after agreeing on price, and the seller agreeing to get the car licensed, calls me yesterday (after I’ve been checking weekly how it’s coming along) and says there’s a guy there ready to buy it on the spot. Not cool. I do all the ground work, take the time to drive 50 minutes away to view it, negotiate price etc, and then it gets sold out from under me for a few k more than we’d agreed.

People are cnuts.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Lost an lx hatch similar way except told owner me 1hr before we were due to leave Sydney & drive to Melbourne....worse still mate took day off work to get his towcar ready & hire a trailer as I couldn't get time off work unless sickied the next day.

Mofo gave it to his workmate on tick who sold it for 5k profit...still dirty about that & won't talk to ex owner especially after he regrettfully said he wished I got it as my plans were to race it & slowly restore it.Never sell as it was bucket list car like my gtr.

Anyways no need to track down t5 donor just go ford 6cyl t5 conversion from dellows or crs etc

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Lost an lx hatch similar way except told owner me 1hr before we were due to leave Sydney & drive to Melbourne....worse still mate took day off work to get his towcar ready & hire a trailer as I couldn't get time off work unless sickied the next day.

Mofo gave it to his workmate on tick who sold it for 5k profit...still dirty about that & won't talk to ex owner especially after he regrettfully said he wished I got it as my plans were to race it & slowly restore it.Never sell as it was bucket list car like my gtr.

Anyways no need to track down t5 donor just go ford 6cyl t5 conversion from dellows or crs etc

so they’d sell all the bits I’d need for it?? From what I’ve read through the threads on here from years ago, there’s a fair bit of stuff I’d need? Manual tail shaft, ecu, wiring etc. plus the pedal box and shifter etc. wondering if it’s more trouble than it’s worth....

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Seen the coin people want for clapped out tired noisey v8 t5 manual conversion if you can find one?

Fark no piece something together yourself over time or go big go t56 for similar coin.

Ford t5 6cyl g/box way more availbility & cheaper to buy...each model t5 takes different bellhousing so I'd go for most availaible g/box with similar gearing.

dellow/crs bellhousing
for 6cyl t5 $500'ish versus couple grand for v8 t5 pfft
source manual pedal box,new clutch cable
use auto speedo wiring & bridge inhibutor wiring..some slight change to be done with vss iirc
front half tailshaft modified
should get memcal touched up to suit decelleration etc but should be fine with auto tune.

that's most of it anyway