Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN SS proof of interior

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Hey guys, been a really long time since I’ve been on here, probably 5 years!! Had an old VS Caprice last time, had to sell it cause it was my daily, and it was so unreliable. Driving a shitty VE omega currently.
Anyway, so I’m now at stage in my life where I can afford to have something cool to stash away in the garage, and not rely on it to get me to work and back, which leads to my question ......
So I’m going back to the VN SS cause it’s my all time favourite commodore. Owned one back in 2010, and about to get another one. So I’ve found an atlas grey, 5 speed (converted from factory auto) it’s got devonish seats and door cards, level 3 digital instrument cluster, original radio, but also climate control like the Calais’ had. The owner has owned it for 7 years, but has no history on the car. He reckons it’s all factory, except the 5 speed of course.

so my question is, is there anyway I can prove what interior components are factory upgrades?? If I send Holden the VIN would they be able to check and find out?

thanks team, good to be back.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
you can see if the RPO codes show the options?
example of my VS ute

1617785967034.png

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Common 'period' mods back in the day...fark all to no chance seats & cluster are options.

Doesn't matter anyway devonish seats are highly coveted thing to have even today...vn level 2 cluster especially earliest versions like easrly ss seats were nothing to brag about.

Can contact holden for build sheet if can't find inside car BUT most were dealership orders & usually same crap on them.

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Thanks guys, yeah the dash is digital same as the Calais, and the climate control looks the same, so I’m guessing those parts have been modified after the fact. My only “concern” is that the digital kms can’t really be verified? There’s no books, so no proof. It’s probably not a deal breaker, but for future value, fully original is what people will be after.

in the end though,I’d be buying it to drive and enjoy, and the fact it’s already been modified from factory probably takes away the issue of the interior not being original. It’s been butchered anyway, haha.

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Does anyone know of the level 3 instrument cluster was an optional extra for the SS? I know it was standard for Calais and Statesman (HSV had the little HsV logo in the middle, this one doesn’t)

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Nope all were level 2 clusters basically based on exexcutie or berlina.

Back in day iirc just needed extra loom extension off luxury model to run digital odo etc also think was same thing for climate control unless someone went full emo changing whole loom.

Either way rather have devonish interior as ling as it matches original trim...climate control or level 3 dashnothing to rave about.

Wouldn't call the car 'butchered' as all that stuff can be easily removed/replaced with factory items just means car is like many others that have been messed with & lacks known history.

I'd still try to check out it is an actual ss before buying if that is main reason you want it...nearly bought a clone many 2005'ish luckily owner told me when looking at it as I hadn't checked vin or nothing.

It was only 6k or so slightly run down correct factory 5litre,atlas grey & series 1 interior...just had decals,kit,ss steering wheel added early on in life & fooled most people first glance...probably should've bought but didn't.

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Yeah I’ve ran the VIN and it’s a genuine atlas grey ss, just factory auto that’s been converted to manual.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Does anyone know of the level 3 instrument cluster was an optional extra for the SS? I know it was standard for Calais and Statesman (HSV had the little HsV logo in the middle, this one doesn’t)
we had a VS SS with L3 dash, but that was a HSV enhanced vehicle which at the time was the only way to get a SS with a L3 dash. Havent seen any other SS get the L3 dash.