Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN SS proof of interior

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Here’s the photos of the interior. Looks to have been done well. Owner reckons it’s all factory original, but I’m far from convinced
81BDB796-2C4E-41A8-B1FF-EF489B8FB420.jpeg
9470546B-588C-4E03-8E0E-189E65BE5C05.jpeg
97BDF552-2733-4011-8ADE-48286D93447D.jpeg
A130ADB9-6443-4612-A18E-110C0E53E23C.jpeg

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Did you check under the passenger side carpet for the original build sheets?

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
If I buy it I will, haha. Still weighing up between this one, and a fully original Red one. Red is auto though, but everything is factory original. This one has obvious cosmetic modifications and of course the 5 speed conversion. Manual is much more fun to drive though so I’m leaning towards the grey. Will check them both out and see how they drive I guess.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Seats are vr senator....not sure what is going on with door trims assume fitted senator trim to vn door cards...centre piece of rear seat usually look tad squished.

Dash is vr/s calais is quick guess by looks of it.

Dunno if vn ss had power mirrors never bothered to noticed.

It's definitely been played around with no idea why owner thinks it's all factory when got no history on it.

They retro fit cruise control or anything else? Engine bay pic? Group a bonnet scoop?

Depending on price nothing to really worry about...most of it looks like period mods.

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Price is high, as most of them are these days. Looking at mid 30s. Might be able to get the price down though, with no books/history, etc.
4D24B214-687D-4BFB-A780-01B7EDD07C5D.jpeg
41188FA1-70AC-4295-9FF0-2A6BAAE3F306.jpeg
11EF764A-0CCF-445B-B072-32DBCA177C0D.jpeg

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Ok guys, next question is......how can I tell, when I go to have a look on the weekend, if the gearbox is in fact a genuine T5 of the correct era, and it is from a V8 and not a V6?? V6 boxes wouldn’t work for the 304 would they?? Is there any sort of markings that I’d be able to see from underneath or anything like that??

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yeah hard to price these days guess it comes down to how much you want that particular car & what is the limit you'll pay.

Look up v6 vs v8 specs you'll see what speeds they're supposed to get in 1st or 2nd then compared....v6 g/box had super short & almost useless for a v8...also needed the input chopped down to suit or back in the day aftermarket bellhousing.

Should be code tag or numbers cast on side to work out what g/box 'might' be from....if it has ford 6cyl t5 conversion with aftermarket conversion kit wouldn't be too worried about that better ratio box & way easier/cheaper to replace,,,,check speedo is correct with gps from phone app.

Does that airbox have big one piece snorkeo facing forward like sv items?
1618485332510.jpeg

Worth some coin but moreso cool item to have these days.

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Yeah hard to price these days guess it comes down to how much you want that particular car & what is the limit you'll pay.

Look up v6 vs v8 specs you'll see what speeds they're supposed to get in 1st or 2nd then compared....v6 g/box had super short & almost useless for a v8...also needed the input chopped down to suit or back in the day aftermarket bellhousing.

Should be code tag or numbers cast on side to work out what g/box 'might' be from....if it has ford 6cyl t5 conversion with aftermarket conversion kit wouldn't be too worried about that better ratio box & way easier/cheaper to replace,,,,check speedo is correct with gps from phone app.

Does that airbox have big one piece snorkeo facing forward like sv items?
View attachment 221401

Worth some coin but moreso cool item to have these days.

so it did have that exact box, but it didn’t have the SV text on it, but it had The diagonal lines and the snorkel bit coming out the bottom.

seemed to drive well, had plenty of punch for an old 5.0, had some extractors (advanced stamped on them, same position as pacemaker put their stamp on) and a big straight through exhaust. Problem with that is, there’s no Cats. It’s still unlicensed, and won’t pass anything without Cats. So the bloke reckons he’ll get some cats put on, get it ticked off and licensed, and then we’ll likely do a deal. I figure all the stuff that’s non factory, will be easy enough to swap back to original if I ever wanted to. My only reason to change it back, would be if I was trying to sell it, which hopefully I won’t be. I might just buy bits and pieces as they pop up, and stash them away for when I might need them.

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Also, the bonnet has the actual cutout on the underside, which makes me think it’s a genuine group A bonnet?? The cutout matches exactly, photos of the group A bonnets, which had the hole for the manifold. Has the gas struts like the group As as well. Makes me wonder if the digital dash (which is identical to the group A ones) and the climate control, controls, have also come from a group A?? Would make sense I guess?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Looks to me mostly vr senator or calais parts added on.

Bonnet scoops used to come with istructions & measuerments to cut bonnet hole just in case someone had twin throttle body manifold...fair few people did it in early days anyway & meaurements/diagrams were available on forums.

Dash could be calais but to tell if came off hsv either pull it out look at stickers on back for logo if want to be 100%.

Other telltale is think hsv cars had the higher speedo reading compared to non-hsv dash?

Don't if some vn/p models had hsv logo on dash but fairly sure most vr/s models didn't get it...maybe it had to be optioned but only seen hsv logo on vs series 3 maloo ute...vr/s had black background like what you got vaguely remember just higher speedo reading main differences.

Been a while since owned & worked on them...more of a steel bumper fan haha