Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn ss t56 conversion

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
i think cable is better also, much better feel for what the clutch is doing. every car i've driven with hydraulic clutch has felt awfull. i'm just miffed with that adaptor plate. i would have though the basic bolt pattern was the same.

Its a late model T56 tho, not a VR/S HSV style 6 speed (assuming their different?)

mws

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
How much did your kit cost stealthy? i was lookin at trying to do it a little cheaper if possible i can get my hands on a t56 out of a vx ute real cheap, what was in your kit apart from box? Im assuming ill need to get mal woods clutch fork, adaptor plate, clutch, some form of different tailshaft...? Also what wiring did you do to get your speedo working and reverse light and that? I've done t5 converisons is it similar to that? thanks heaps for the help so far everyone

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Its a late model T56 tho, not a VR/S HSV style 6 speed (assuming their different?)

it does look like the top 2 mounting bolts on the late model trans are different

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
How much did your kit cost stealthy? i was lookin at trying to do it a little cheaper if possible i can get my hands on a t56 out of a vx ute real cheap, what was in your kit apart from box? Im assuming ill need to get mal woods clutch fork, adaptor plate, clutch, some form of different tailshaft...? Also what wiring did you do to get your speedo working and reverse light and that? I've done t5 converisons is it similar to that? thanks heaps for the help so far everyone

The box all setup ready to go was $4000. Was another $1000 for the clutch to suit.
Mal wood can supply a whole kit if you just need the parts. Not sure what it will cost tho.

Tail shaft is identical (assuming its already manual, like my car was)

The wiring was just a pulse sender of some sort. Havn't even had it fitted yet lol

mws

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
i think i will email mal wood again about the parts minus box. At least tailshaft is easy i thought you would need a different splined yoke or something, So you havent got your speedo wired up yet? lol. this is turning out to be an easy conversion i just need to aquire the parts I can easy fit this all up. Did the clutch they supplied you look like same size as a standard 5 litre one? I should be able to use the friction centre piece out of a t56 style clutch vt or whatever and just use the 5L pressure piece.

mws

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
oh another thing while i think of it does the shifter fit same location as t5?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
The box will already have the yolk, just bolts up to your unijoint (you can see it on the back of the box, with blue strapping going through it in my pic). I'd assume your box will come with the same.

If your car is auto atm, you will need to get the front half of a tailshaft from a manual to be the right size.

Shifter is almost identical, it will be slightly closer to the driver, but it will still operate fine. Goodluck finding a console cover tho:p

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
All holden 5Ls only have the 5 speed.

My mistake, yeah the t56 was only in the 215's. I thought they were all hydraulic though. Obviously not but if your using a cable.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
My mistake, yeah the t56 was only in the 215's. I thought they were all hydraulic though. Obviously not but if your using a cable.

Yeah they are all hydraulic, but you can still set them up to use cable!
Series 2 VSs with the 5 speed getrag are also hydraulic. I couldn't tell a difference between driving my mates with that, and my cable clutch, although i was used to driving mine all the time obviously.

mws

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
thanks heaps for your help guys espicially stealthy. Looks like i got some saving to do, but i think i go the same way. I would definately break a t5 i did in all my v6's... The console piece will suck to find but if i can ill modify and make my own from a spare auto on i have. Is there a thread onm your car stealthy? I reckon its heaps nice i wanna see more of it.