Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn ss t56 conversion

mws

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
Hey everyone, I've been searching for what seems like ages for some info that isnt confusing. I want to put a t56 in my vn ss. I'm not sure on what is involved parts wise. Does it actually bolt up or do i have to by a bellhousing from somewhere like CRS? As far as i aware a few guys on here have t56's behind their 5L's did you guys use a vs pedal box and stay hydraulic? and what clutch did you use or make up a bitsa with a different centre piece to suit the t56 input shaft? also tailshaft and wiring what needs to be done? Sorry for all the questions i just want some direct answers and searching the threads isnt helping too much, and feedback would be very appreciated, im sure im not the only one who would like all this info in one place. Im really keen on this conversion this is the first auto car ive owned in ages and its reminding me how much i dont like autos lol.

mws

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
And if anyone does find a thread with this info that ive missed please post a link :thumbsup:

mws

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
if i seem like i dont pay any attention to any feedback i might get on this thread im sorry i dont have the internet at home so i cant check it very often.

VryNeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC
u dont need to keep bumping it mate u will get ur answer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V6 One Tonner & LX SL/R 5000
Well, the HSV GTS-R came out with the T56 behind the 5.7 litre Holden V8 so a bellhousing may be still available from Holden/HSV if you choose that path. I believe the OEM part number to be 07B1711924 for the bellhousing but it may be listed as a different number in Holden's parts catalogue.

Best person to speak to about the conversion would be Mal Wood (Mal Wood Automotive). He installed a T56 into my LX Torana. Excellent job, can highly recommend him.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
t56 was in the vs series 2 and onward. Same as T5 just get yourself a hydraulic pedal box out of the vsll or above. So no bell housing no sneaky little things, just a normal conversion from a later model

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
All holden 5Ls only have the 5 speed. What 6 speed are you talking about? VR and VS HSVs with the stroker motor had the 6 speed.

As said above, contact mal wood, and he can supply you any part or all of a kit for a 6 speed conversion.

Heres a pic of my box when it was delivered (note the black spacer plate on the bellhousing).
Also i'm still using cable clutch, i saw no need to upgrade to hydraulic.

102_0270-1.jpg

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
a adaptor plate? interesting. it also looks like the adaptor plate has the hole for the clutch cable?

if you do the T56 conversion you will also need to change the diff ratio to make use of the ratio's in the new trans. i suggest either 3.9's or 4.11's

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
a adaptor plate? interesting. it also looks like the adaptor plate has the hole for the clutch cable?

if you do the T56 conversion you will also need to change the diff ratio to make use of the ratio's in the new trans. i suggest either 3.9's or 4.11's

Yeah it has cable still, thats what i wanted!
I have 3.73s atm, will upgrade then next time i blow a diff:p

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yeah it has cable still, thats what i wanted!
I have 3.73s atm, will upgrade then next time i blow a diff:p

i think cable is better also, much better feel for what the clutch is doing. every car i've driven with hydraulic clutch has felt awfull. i'm just miffed with that adaptor plate. i would have though the basic bolt pattern was the same.