Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn stalling after 20 seconds HELP

captain stabbin

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais v v8
vn v6 auto stalling after about 20 seconds cold start everytime i have replaced the following
fuel pump
fuel filter
iac valve
dfi module
fuel pressure regulator
tps sensor
map sensor
cas sensor
checked and cleaned the earth strap next to battery and the one below the coil pack
the car stalled twice on the highway first time it stalled and waited 5 minutes then it was okay for a few months then on my way to work about 10 mins it stalled at the traffic lights and would not start for about 40 minutes but was running very rough as i was driving to the side of the road so i could get a tow
since then the car will start cold as normal then gradually the rpms will drop then die . no codes have been thrown has anyone have a clue what it might be ? i am about to swap oxgen sensors with my other vn and i have checked trans fluid and engine oil.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
vn v6 auto stalling after about 20 seconds cold start everytime i have replaced the following
fuel pump
fuel filter
iac valve
dfi module
fuel pressure regulator
tps sensor
map sensor
cas sensor
checked and cleaned the earth strap next to battery and the one below the coil pack
the car stalled twice on the highway first time it stalled and waited 5 minutes then it was okay for a few months then on my way to work about 10 mins it stalled at the traffic lights and would not start for about 40 minutes but was running very rough as i was driving to the side of the road so i could get a tow
since then the car will start cold as normal then gradually the rpms will drop then die . no codes have been thrown has anyone have a clue what it might be ? i am about to swap oxgen sensors with my other vn and i have checked trans fluid and engine oil.
What is the dfi wiring like? Have you checked any of the wiring? Or just throwing parts at it?

I'm wondering if some of those parts where cactus before you fitted them?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Any codes? Oxygen sensor problems generally throw codes 13, 44 or 45. I'd check for codes before I replaced any control parts. And if I had to replace control system parts I'd only use GMH or Delphi replacements- there's a lot of cheap junk components that look the same as the originals out there but they just don't work.

Reactions: Lex

captain stabbin

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais v v8
What is the dfi wiring like? Have you checked any of the wiring? Or just throwing parts at it?

I'm wondering if some of those parts where cactus before you fitted them?
most parts were new like the fuel pressure regulator, dfi, and fuel pump/filter
i swapped the map and throttle body with my other road going vn and installed new iac valve
i am about to check the wiring end of the dfi connector and the ecu but i read somewhere that i should check the cat convertor if its blocked and what makes it harder is that the code comes up as 12 all the time so its really doing my head in

captain stabbin

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais v v8
Any codes? Oxygen sensor problems generally throw codes 13, 44 or 45. I'd check for codes before I replaced any control parts. And if I had to replace control system parts I'd only use GMH or Delphi replacements- there's a lot of cheap junk components that look the same as the originals out there but they just don't work.
thanks for replying guys no codes yet just the 12 nothing else it has me stumped

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
most parts were new like the fuel pressure regulator, dfi, and fuel pump/filter
i swapped the map and throttle body with my other road going vn and installed new iac valve
i am about to check the wiring end of the dfi connector and the ecu but i read somewhere that i should check the cat convertor if its blocked and what makes it harder is that the code comes up as 12 all the time so its really doing my head in
What fpr are you using?

captain stabbin

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais v v8
with the wiring on the dfi module is there a certain coloured wire i should inspect first?
also i have checked and cleaned the 2 earths wires one next to the battery and the other above crank sensor

Last edited:

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
with the wiring on the dfi module is there a certain coloured wire i should inspect first?
Check the pins for bent pins or discolouration, or any crap on the pins of the plug.

If thats ok, then strip back the tape & plastic on the wires (not the plastic that surrounds the wire itself). May have to go back 300 mm or more? Maybe not even that much? Any bare wires touching?

More info on the fpr. According to other members, you can't buy the fpr for vn - vr?
So what have you got?

captain stabbin

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais v v8
my fpr is a bosch it retails for around 200 at repco but i got it from a large independent retailer it has the 1 bolt hole and sits at the back left of the inlet manifold