Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn stalling after 20 seconds HELP

captain stabbin

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais v v8
do you mean fuel pump relay i have swapped them over still nothing

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
VS FPR is the one you can't buy.

Reactions: Lex

captain stabbin

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais v v8
im going to drop the tank next weekend and see whats in it the engine starts and sounds like it should so my hunch is maybe starving of fuel for it to run and enough for it to start but until then i will check with you guys out there for another possible solution and also i have dropped the rear muffler because it had water in it from all that rain recently which is brand new btw but the engine still starts and stalls so it aint the rear muffler maybe i should loosen the cat a little bit and see if it runs a little bit longer

Last edited:

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
If the exhaust is blocked it wouldn't rev. and the engine would run hot. These cars are old now and the electrical contacts are not in the best shape- might be a good idea to break every electrical socket you can find that's involved with the engine management system, clean them with contact cleaner then reconnect them making sure they are firmly locked by their locating clips.

captain stabbin

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais v v8
If the exhaust is blocked it wouldn't rev. and the engine would run hot. These cars are old now and the electrical contacts are not in the best shape- might be a good idea to break every electrical socket you can find that's involved with the engine management system, clean them with contact cleaner then reconnect them making sure they are firmly locked by their locating clips.
the engine does not rev justs idle only and the engine is cold and cant get hot because it stalls to soon but i will do what you said some electrical connections that are exposed to the elements will be checked first then the ecu and other connections

Last edited:

Dunlop

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR Commodore Acclaim
vn v6 auto stalling after about 20 seconds cold start everytime i have replaced the following
fuel pump
fuel filter
iac valve
dfi module
fuel pressure regulator
tps sensor
map sensor
cas sensor
checked and cleaned the earth strap next to battery and the one below the coil pack
the car stalled twice on the highway first time it stalled and waited 5 minutes then it was okay for a few months then on my way to work about 10 mins it stalled at the traffic lights and would not start for about 40 minutes but was running very rough as i was driving to the side of the road so i could get a tow
since then the car will start cold as normal then gradually the rpms will drop then die . no codes have been thrown has anyone have a clue what it might be ? i am about to swap oxgen sensors with my other vn and i have checked trans fluid and engine oil.
Quick story - some years ago I had a fuel injected Peugeot 504. One night at the start of a long trip the car would start and idle but would'n't rev. Turned out that the contacts for the electric fuel pump fuse (below the dash) had oxidised. You've checked the fuse and pulled it out a couple of times?

wild mulberry

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn 5lt berlina wagon
ign coil?

captain stabbin

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais v v8
still no luck i have swapped ecu with my other vn i have also checked the fuel pump fuse /relay, fuel pump wiring connectors, quality of the fuel as well the fuel lines are intact no leaks, no kinks, could it be a piston ring or blown cylinder head gasket? auto trans?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I know you said you cleaned the earthing points, but have you tried running extra earth directly from the battery? Just another thing to eliminate. Also, swapped the leads for a known working set?

Unlikely, but I've had this happen when the alternator is on its way out or dead. The spark is weak because the battery is low, so the spark gets blown out under any load, then the car dies completely. Give it a while, the battery "recovers" and has enough charge to start again, then the process starts again. Throw a multimeter (you can also use this to test your earths) on the battery terminals and see if anything's going on.

Last edited:

captain stabbin

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais v v8
UPDATE i have unbolted the front muffler and had rusty water gushing out and i did the water test on the cat converter just like on
the ford territory was behaving the same way as my vn so i bolted up the cat and a different muffler and the car idles longer but still does not like to rev i will put in a new cat and see how it goes