Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Stalling

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Hey all.. Well the other day I was having a few problems with the fuel pump.

Now the car will not run. I know the fuel pump diaphragm is stuffed but is this causing these problems also?

I try to start the car and it shakes like hell and goes for a few seconds at like a 100rpm or 50rpm...than she stops.

Sometimes even when i turn the key to the off position the fuel pump KEEPS making noise for a good 5 to 10 seconds, the same noise it makes when you first turn the key to accessories.

So is the fuel pump relay stuffed also? Cause the fuel pump shouldnt be getting power when the key is in the off position? This in turn would flood the engine and could be causing my problems? Or is it just cause the fuel pump is stuffed?

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
My VN did that same thing....
Was runnin good then she started to stall when drivin at any speed but maily happened at 100kms...
Then one day it wouldnt run, would start then idle ruff n really low then stall 5secs after startin.....
The pump would keep goin after the key was takin out, it would keep goin to keep the pressure up said the mechanic.....
He did a pressure test on it n found that pressure when running was fine but once the car was turnd off it would loose all the pressure....
He said he didnt think it was the pump causeing the prob but i had it replaced anyway....
After new pump was put in never had a problem again until the connection came loose then it did the same thing again but with no pump noise, fort the new pump was stuffed but jumped under to find loose connection....

I would think that ur pump is stuffed...
Is it really noisey, coz mine went really loud when it stated to play up and the noise wasnt at the same tone it would change all the time to really high whine to low grumbley noise....

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Mechanic fort the reason for the pressure loss was either blocked fuel lines, injector clogged or fuel pick up lines that was the cause but it was the pump...

VNV6VENGEANCE

VeNgeance
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Turbo
Mine did the same thing , if you wanna get it started get a rubber mallet and get some one to stand at the back of the car and smack the fuel tank with it as you crank the ignition. If it is your fuel pump that is causing the problem the car should start..

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Yeah i forgot bout that....I did it once to get a VP that wouldnt start out the front of my work....Gave it a couple good smacks n she went........
Good work vengence i had totaly forgot bout that lil trick

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I plan to call the RAA out anyway on the weekend. Get em to check the car out and tell me exactly what the problem is before I go buyin parts.

I have a new fuel pump on the way anyway so I hope it is the fuel pump, then i dont needa spend any more money on other parts lol

Cheers for your help though guys :D

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais_cruzin said:
My VN did that same thing....
Was runnin good then she started to stall when drivin at any speed but maily happened at 100kms...
Then one day it wouldnt run, would start then idle ruff n really low then stall 5secs after startin.....
The pump would keep goin after the key was takin out, it would keep goin to keep the pressure up said the mechanic.....
He did a pressure test on it n found that pressure when running was fine but once the car was turnd off it would loose all the pressure....
He said he didnt think it was the pump causeing the prob but i had it replaced anyway....
After new pump was put in never had a problem again until the connection came loose then it did the same thing again but with no pump noise, fort the new pump was stuffed but jumped under to find loose connection....

I would think that ur pump is stuffed...
Is it really noisey, coz mine went really loud when it stated to play up and the noise wasnt at the same tone it would change all the time to really high whine to low grumbley noise....

Mines the same by the way, much noisier than it had been.