Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN stalls/wont start when warm

REWIRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Exec II
Hey everyone
A few weeks ago the fuel pump went in my vn sedan so i replaced it with a brand new one. Since then my car hasnt been running right, she starts firt time and runs ok but when u shut it off and go to start her again it just winds over without firing. If i let the car sit for a couple of hours and cool rigght down it will start. The car will also stall and roll to a stop aftrr 5 mins or so of driving. I have been told it could be the crank angle sensor? Also the temp guage on my vn must be dodgy because it barely moves, car will idle for half hour before the needle even gets to quatr and the engine seems alot hotter then the guage reads i cant rest my hand on the top of the intake manifold. Could my car b over heating and stallin without me knowing it?any advice is apreciated thanxs.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Change the CAS first and see if that fixed the stalling. It's the most probable cause of stalling and not starting when hot. To test it you can poor cold water over it (CAS) when it next stalls and fails to start. By cooling it down it may fire up then.

cuttinglaps

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 S2 VX CLUBSPORT
Yeah poor a heap of water all over your crank angle sensor sometimes a heavy duty degreaser can clear **** out of it and fix it.... then try and start it... if not bottom half of your coil pack could be F'd ... series 1 or 2 ?

REWIRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Exec II
Thanxs for the help. Its a series 1 motor, im going to clean the cas tonight. How much am i looking at for a new cas? If that fails i will replace the coil pack base aswelll.

cuttinglaps

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 S2 VX CLUBSPORT
Depends I get trade so not sure on the retail ... I'd expect to pay somewhere around the $50-70 mark.. You'll need a puller to get the balancer off but, so you might want to line one up !

Coil pack I'd slap a vt top on it probably $50 - $100 depends where you go !

REWIRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Exec II
Should i replace the top or bottom of the coil pack? The water method works maybe 50% of the time but engine stalls shortly after.

Last edited:

cuttinglaps

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 S2 VX CLUBSPORT
I'd be changing out the crank angle sensor before you go any further !

REWIRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Exec II
I have replaced the cas with a new one. Is it normal for the inside rim of the harmonic balancer to rub on the side of the plastic grooves on the cas?? I havent started it yet because i dot want to damage the cas.

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
No, should pass but not touch each other. Is the replacement you have identical to the old one?
Is the old one adjustable? laterCAS.jpgVN CAS.jpg

REWIRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Exec II
Yea unfortunatly they have given me the all plastic one when i need the one with the metal bracket, i asked for a series 1 and they assured me it was the right one grr.