Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN starting issues

davylon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
had a vn out the back for a while and started it every now and then.decided im going to put it back on the road for my daughter as it shouldnt need much.I started it up the other day and it seemed to be running ok and and i put it in park and let it idle for a minute then gave it a couple of light revs and it gave like a slight backfire and stopped and i cant get it started again.i have tried another fuel pump and replaced fuel filter,changed to another throttle body with sensors,changed all relays and even tried another ecm and tried the coil pack with a spare spark plug into the leads and onto the body.have have read on here to pull the rubber hose that goes to the fuel rail off and fuel should pump out as i turn car over is this correct?have tried this and have no fuel spraying out.any help greatly appreciated.thanks

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Check to see if any hoses come off, maybe MAP sensor or a wiring off the throttle body (TPS, IAC).

davylon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
yep have done that replaced with working throttle body with sensors so all connected properly

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
how full was the tank and how old was the fuel? changing the fuel filter and such isnt going to matter if it just sucked up a bunch of old stagnant fuel again. also can you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the car into the accessories? (forward position just before starter engages). also is it a calais? does it have a keyless entry remote? if so shut off the override lock in the glove box just to make sure its not the security system shutting your fuel pump off... id also go ahead and put some fresh spark plugs in...\

also you didnt actually say but im assuming were talking about the 3.8 litre...