Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn steering knock

hoffy1961

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn
Have a vn in very good nick and recently the steering knocks when turning right nothing visible looks out of order and it hasn't used any power steering fluid.
The knock is not always there mainly when the car has gone over say 50km then the knock sounds a little like a worn cv joint on a front wheel drive car.
I suspect it may be the steering rack or ball joints etc but dont think its a great deal as it's not constant
any ideas would be appreciatted
Thanks Hoffy 1961

hoffy1961

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn
Thanks for that will check that not sure what I am looking for I assume it is the bar behind the steering rack. I am not that mechanically minded but hope I can visually see what I am after. Is it usual to be just one direction?

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Thanks for that will check that not sure what I am looking for I assume it is the bar behind the steering rack. I am not that mechanically minded but hope I can visually see what I am after. Is it usual to be just one direction?

No its the link attaching the strut to the swaybar, the standard rubber bushes are common to wear out quickly and yeah depending what side is worn they can knock only turning in one direction. Heres a diagram

Image009s.JPG

If they look good then have a look at the other bushes/ball joints and wheel bearing to check for play