Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn struggling to start.

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
hey guys...when i turn the key to start my car, the motor will be turning over but wont start until i give it some throttle, which in turn is creating a bit of black smoke when it finally starts. if i dont give it any throttle when its trying to start, it sometimes starts but then stalls shortly after most the time. anybody got any ideas what it could be?

ive tried changing the fuel filter and cleaning the injectors,

vn_wagon90

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Wagon
Sounds like you have 1 or more leaking injectors, When you accerlerate, its giving the car more air forcing the unburnt fuel down the exh quicker. And when you dont it pass through the 02 Sensor slower and the car doesnt know what to do therefor stalling.
It it always hard to start or just mainly first thing of a morning ??

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
oh really? how would i fix that? i took the fuel rail out on saturday and gave them all a quick clean and all the o-rings looked pretty new.......nah it happens pretty much most times..very rarely starts by itself...

AGRSSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS, Cammed VN V6 daily
Hey mate, sounds like it could be your fuel pump that is dying, is the pump noisy? have you tried turning your key to ignition then acc then ignition a few times to get a good head of pressure to the rail then try to start it.

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
nah pump is quiet....ill give that a bash...see how that goes....what does is mean if that works?
im going to pull the pump out when the tank gets empty, just clean the strainer a bit and whatnot..

vn_wagon90

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Wagon
If it works better then id be buying a new pump and fuel filter and replacing them .. How ever, If you were going to clean the strainer id clean the tank out to be on the safe side to .. Or tho everytime i do that to a pump, the bloody thing gives up 1 month down the road .. lol ..

If that doesnt work, possible leaking injectors, to fix that id see if you can get some from a wreckers or something like that just to try, and if it starts better and runs, Then get yourself either new or reco injectors.
How does it idle ??

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
yeh, might not be a bad idea to clean the tank...would i use just average degreaser?....or just hose it out?....on the fuel regulator, i was lookin at the little hose that goes up to the throttle body....is that supposed to have fuel going through it?

vn_wagon90

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Wagon
I used degresser, then hosed it out and wiped it dry :) Nope, Its only a vacum hose :S .. By the sound of the that , the regulator is buggered

wnt 17

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn 5ltr execitive
the hole problem is the lil reg on the back of the rail on drivers side and as for the hose that gose to tb no its not ment to have fuel going throw it as vn_wagon90 said