Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN strut from knuckle removal

VNmangWgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN commodore Executive Wagon
Hey guys
I want to put coilovers in the front of my vn s1 tp get more clearance for my tyres coz they're rubbing on the strut but i can't see any bolts or splits where the bottom of the strut meets the steering knucle... Anyone done this before? Any help appreciated

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The only way is to modify your original strut to suit a coil over, cut off the original spring perch, weld a threaded sleeve over the top of the original strut body.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You can go to a VR/VS knuckle+LCA and use an S13 coilover. Number of people seem to have done this if you bang it into google.

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Won't using the VR/VS lower control arm widen the front track?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Front track increase wouldn't really change anything, in fact it would be better. Also depends on how the track was measured in the first place as to how much it actually changes, different wheel offsets used on factory wheels, difference in bearings/knuckle dimensions for the clevis setup etc... rather than an actual longer LCA if you compare say a VR/VS LCA to an VT/VX one where it's exactly the same LCA just longer.

Important thing is that the wheel base of both cars is the same, so you don't stuff up the ackerman and turning circle like you would if you ran VT/VX knuckles.

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
If you use the VR LCA then you also need to change the steering rack ends as they are longer as well. I'm fairly sure there are track differences.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Misworded my post. Track increase wouldn't change anything is what I meant to say.

Unless you're pedantic and calculating scrub radiuses then it's not a problem (provided you're not fouling on the guards), even then you can offset the track increase with the right wheels.

Last edited:

VNmangWgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
So what they're one piece? There's a little hole thingy in the back of the knuckle I'm hoping for a grub screw or something? Not too keen on swapping parts from different models

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
They separate with much difficulty and XYZ make a kit for the VN, but IMHO the whole VN/VP upright design is garbage. At least if you use an S13 coilover you open up some options in terms of aftermarket support.

What size wheels and tyres are you running?

Anyway you have to take the whole upright out to do it. Pictures have expired but this is the step by step - https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-to-change-springs-shock.25011/

Last edited:

VNmangWgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
20" 235/30zr20 on the fronts and 235/35r20 on the rear. I know how to take the uprights out just dunno how to seperate strut housing from knuckles