Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manual Calais

Manual VN Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
T5 VN Calais 3.8
T5 Heavy Duty?

Hi all,
I have a T5 in my vn, and recently the imput shaft bearing has shat it self and ive got a price of 730 bucks to run a bearing & seal kit through it. I've also been test driving a few vn manuals for sale because ive been thinkingto just swap the box over. what I have noticed is all the other manuals ive driven have felt different to mine, mine feels more 'heavy duty' in gear changes. Im just wondering how you would tel if you have heavy duty parts in your gear box? and what they might be so i know if itsd worth rebuilding the one i have or swapping it over.

Thanks

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
Your T5 is no different other than the condition, others may be more or less worn. Other than cryo treating there is no way to beef up a stock T5 which you would never feel. Dog engagement sets are available now apparently but you would definitely know if you had one. If testing a box out for swapping then load it up in a gear (low RPM full throttle) and quickly let off the throttle, do this a couple of times and if it pops out of gear don't buy it lol. Also listen for whining noises under power and idling with the clutch in, in every gear. And obviously if any gear is difficult to select then there is a problem. Typically 3rd gear blows in a T5.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Your T5 is likely standard. What 'may' be different is you may have a heavier duty clutch fitted with a stronger pressure plate, giving you a heavier feeling to the clutch pedal. No way to tell for certain without looking at it. Even then it may be hard to identify if it doesn't have any obvious markings etc on it.
Cheers

Manual Calais

Manual VN Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
T5 VN Calais 3.8
i have a heavy duty clutch but would that change how it feels through the gears at the stick?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
The infamous T5 whine that the previous poster refers to is a sign of the webbing in the gearbox housing beginning to fracture, rather than intetnal components. There is nothing that can be done to really strengthen internals, although T5g boxes ran a fine spline input shaft to spread clutch loads over a greater surface area.

micsnaffled

micsnaffled
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 355 V8 5.8litre
Group a ss, some ss had shot peened gears.
That's the only t5 box that got any treatment. I've heard... Thought it came out with an Italian made zf 6 speed?? Anyway...
I've just rebuilt my box, finished 1 day ago and there is heaps of things to make it stronger!!
For eg: new tremec bearings, syncros, seals, major rebuild kit. I had billet keys put in most gears instead of the pressed whatever crap they had in there, also had billet selector pads for the forks again instead of the crap that was there. Also had a billet front bearing gear retainer slapped on to stop gear movement under heat, all my gears and working parts have been shot peened. Had the gm rip shift put on for the straight gate
2 to 3 gears. Billet shifter bush on the base of the short shift replacing the plastic item. Mmmmm
Maybe a couple of other small things but should be able to handle 500hp
Plus a bit more!!!
I don't think your box is different at all unless it's from a vn ss
But mine cost me an arm a leg and a testicle $2,000 twin plate clutch included!!!
If you need any body for parts just let me know, I had one guy try to charge me the same $700 for 2 parts... Ended up by getting them from tremec for less than 1/2 price all brand new tremec!!! I paid $306.54 for the same 2parts!!! Be careful!!

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
OP the reason your box more than likely feels 'heavy duty' it because its got regular gearbox oil in it, rather than ATF. The gear oil could also be the reason for your input shaft bearing failiure.

World class t5s (all t5s in commodores are world class) have needle bearings in them and 3 peice fiber synchros, which is why they need ATF in them.

Non world class t5s have brass synchros (not sure what bearings) so they run normal gear oil.

micsnaffled

micsnaffled
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 355 V8 5.8litre
Here
That's the finished product as stated earlier! All mods, brand new!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,427
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 692