Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn tacho wiring problem

JUS46

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executive
ok so i had my tacho wired up all sweet and was workin fine on my vn v6 s1 (i was running the tach signal from the brown wire near p/s strut tower) then i put a s2 coil pack on it and it stoped working ..it still has power and everything jus not gettin tach signal so i took the tacho out and test it on a mates car ..it worked no problems

has anyone else had this problem when they changed from s1 to s2 coil packs?? .....im thinkin maybe the tach signal is a different pin on the dfi module or sumthing
any info on this would be greatly appreciated
thanks

oh and i already tried the tacho wire behind the instrument cluster too

GAZ_VN

Reaction score
Aldinga Beach, South Australia, Australia
Members Ride
2007 VZ SS THUNDER
hey man same problem.. just had an s1 coil pack and dfi module pack up on me, so i replaced it with what seems to be an s2 unit.. and now my stock tacho isnt working :/ did you find out if it was a different setup?

Last edited:

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
had a look at this for 1980? to 1990 it ran in my diagrams to the tower connector then dash connector? instruments?
from 1990 onwards there is just n=brown "tacho signal" pointing away from the "ignition module" under coil packs.
as in it gets sent to level..2 instrument cluster instead of connector AND "dash connector"
(police model or s1? im unsure of when it changed exactly)

but basically as far as i can see all still use a brown wire from the ignition module, so one would assume that if
you located the brown wire it should have a tacho signal on it in basic signal waveform.

so i would look at the dfi or igntion module under the coil packs for a brown wire, then attach you tacho straight to that to try it out,,, let me know about this as i know someone using s2 parts on a s1 at the moment and i gotta do the gauges in a few weeks....pm?

The Dark One

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
Did you hear any more about what might be stopping the tacho from working?

I've installed a tacho in a VN and the tacho just won't work. I've connected to the brown wire on the harness that is put there specifically to hook up a tacho but no luck.

GAZ_VN

Reaction score
Aldinga Beach, South Australia, Australia
Members Ride
2007 VZ SS THUNDER
Old post i know but in the end i found that my tacho was damaged from the coilpack/dfi letting go, replaced tacho and it worked again.