Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn thermo fan not working

CeeJay B

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 s1 vn commodore
Hey guys new to this page and thought I'd ask a couple questions, I've got a series 1 vn v6 and I'm having trouble with the thermo fan, I've run the car to get to half temp and water just boils and comes out the overflow, thermo fans don't turn on and neither do the ac or blower fans, I've replaced the following, both temp sensors, water pump,overflow bottle and cap, all hoses, ecu and memcal, absolutely nothing has worked I will soon replace the heater fan resistor and see if that dies anything but any help would be very appreciated!

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Check the relay box. The thermo fans on some of these old Commodores have problems with the relay block burning out where the relay pushes in.

CeeJay B

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 s1 vn commodore
Check the relay box. The thermo fans on some of these old Commodores have problems with the relay block burning out where the relay pushes in.
Tested all relays and checked the relay block and I'm getting power to there aswell

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Tested all relays and checked the relay block and I'm getting power to there aswell
Is the relay switching on when the engine heats up?

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
the heater fan resistor is nothing to do with the radiator fans. Find the relay and bridge the power to the switch and see if the fans work, the fan relay isn't a standard relay the pin configuration is different to the other relays. its a 40 amp relay from memory.

CeeJay B

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 s1 vn commodore
the heater fan resistor is nothing to do with the radiator fans. Find the relay and bridge the power to the switch and see if the fans work, the fan relay isn't a standard relay the pin configuration is different to the other relays. its a 40 amp relay from memory.
You able to attach a picture if the pin config and relay?