Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN throwing fan belt

rhiann

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn commodore
hi all, my vn keeps throwing my fan belt:flame: , the tensioner is only at a quarter any ideas

Thanks

Rhiann

H

HATER VP

Any pully starting to seize? Or any pull mainly the Harmonic Balancer moving?

rhiann

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn commodore
Ive had the balancer checked and seems to be fine, the original belt was old and i had it fixed by a mechanic, since then its thrown it 4 times, is there any chance it might be a later model belt that could be a little longer, ive rang super cheap and they said thats not possible

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
where does the tensioner gauge line up to? Look for the arrow/triangle on the swingarm

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
The tensioner may look ok but what about under load?
Is the water pump OK?

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
check all pulys and play close attension to the air con pump. the bearings in these fail and they become a bit wobbly, which under a few thousand revs a minute could throw it off the water pump, leading to the belt taking a holiday. which is quite dangerous cause then you got no (power) steering and no water.
but if you ant a quick fix go to repco and ask for a belt for a vn without air con, the shorter one.

rhiann

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn commodore
yep, all the pulleys are fine, but just to make sure, dad replaced the tensioner pulley, the water pump, power steering and air cond seem ok even under load, do you think that later models may have a bigger belt????

Wesleyrpg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Supra Turbo
it will be the harmonic balancer, mine balancer looked fine as well, and it kept throwing the belt, expect to pay about $300.