Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn troubles

davidjetson

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wagon with nitros
Can any one give me sum help i got a wagon vn 1990 thermo not turning on at all, im trying to keep all standard and i dont really wont to hard wire it in can sum one help

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Simple fault finding... Do the fans actually still work?

No, replace them.

Yes, then it's probably the Temp Sensor/switch or wires broken/cut/connections disconnected/bad earth.... electrical fault.

davidjetson

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wagon with nitros
fan works wires good all sweet but where whould i find the temp sensor

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Just connect a jumper wire from the termianls A and B on the diagnostic (ALDL) connector which is located under the glove box up in the left corner ,and usually hidden behind the trim or kick panel.It just looks like a 6 pin female wiring connector with nothing plugged into it.Then turn the ignition key to ON.If the cooling fan runs,the cooling fan and its other components are working fine.If it shows to be fine with this test,then replace the coolant temp sensor.Note,theres two sensors ,ones for the temp gauge,it has 1 single wire connected to it.The one that you have to replace is the other one with the multiple wires.Its the one the ECU uses to regulate the cooling fans etc.
This link shows the pin positions on the ALDL connector.

---http://www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/aldl160/vn_aldl.htm---

davidjetson

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wagon with nitros
thank you very heapful fan working pretty sweet also have a nother slight problem when started a lil miss in it but when driving like a granny runs spot on give it a bootfull misses a spits any ideas anyone

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Plugs and leads, and if they dont fix it,replace the 3 ignition coils.They can cause this to happen,they run good under light loads,but they break down and cause a misfire when put under heavy loads.

davidjetson

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wagon with nitros
just done a lil check on the coils from 6 to 3 reading ruffly 5.75ohms
2 to 5 reading 6.40ohms and
1 to 4 reading 6.40ohms
does this mean coil pack 6 to 3 stuff

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
as ong as they were all the same temperature when you tested them
then likely they have a short in the coil windings (common as above)

this ohms test can be used on the leads as well wriggle them etc check for a break

plugs cost next to nothing these days chuck some new ones in it too~!

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive seen these coils show up ok on a multimeter,but still cause misfiring,so even if the readings are within spec ,it cant be trusted.Now I keep a new spare coil for testing instead.I just fit it in place of of the 3 other coils,one at a time obviously, and drive it each time to see if the problem goes away.You can then be 100% sure its not any of the 3 coils then thats causing the problem.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
Ive seen these coils show up ok on a multimeter,but still cause misfiring,so even if the readings are within spec ,it cant be trusted.Now I keep a new spare coil for testing instead.I just fit it in place of of the 3 other coils,one at a time obviously, and drive it each time to see if the problem goes away.You can then be 100% sure its not any of the 3 coils then thats causing the problem.

this is due to temperature as i mentioned
metal expands and contracts hot / cold this changes clearances
and where some temps they wouldnt touch other (coil windings) and other temps they would touch