Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn v6 auto transmission issues

kitted vp

project vp
Reaction score
Members Ride
kitted vp exec wagon
Hi guys, during a long 3hr drive last week (about 2hrs into it) I pulled up to a set of lights and I felt something was amiss! As I went to take off again the car was surging like the tranny was cutting in and out rapidly while trying to accelorate and under decelleration the tacho would fluctuate around 2-300rpm up and down like box was still cutting in & out but once it reaches a a speed where you just want to cruise along without accel/decell it seems ok but still kind of off colour! I pulled over & selected neutral and gave her some quick stabs on the gas hitting around 4000rpm each stab and motor seemed to be fine! But the surging continued the rest of the way home and I just thought if it dies it dies I dont really care! Well I made it home and parked her up & around an hr later went out to put it in the shed and all was fine again? It seems like when the box gets hot it starts to play up (rather irregular erratic shifting, almost like it will skip 2nd & move on to 3rd, not hitting overdrive till nearly 100kph, give it herbs she really holds the gears sometimes, like small pauses between gears bot not slipping!! Checked tranny fluid and that seems fine? Could my t/c be on its last legs or box needs a service or something? Cheers in advance for any help guys

CALMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive s2 wagon
When was the last service on the gearbox? How many km's on the car?
If you don't know give it a service first then go for a drive, If it is still doing it, then sounds like the box is on it last legs.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
I'd be more inclined to suspect it's a problem with the ignition. Have you checked all of the spark plug leads and spark plugs, checked all the connections on the coil pack and sensors for corrosion?
If it's the transmission try adjusting the control cable first. If it's a transmission issue it sounds like you need to take it to be looked at but be careful about being ripped off. I would not be coughing up for a reco auto on a VN/VP as it would cost more than the car is worth. I'd get a second hand one if it needed replacing.
Do you know how long since the auto was looked? Before I took it anywhere I would check the fluid firstly to make sure there is enough in it and that it is not dirty/gritty. So go and check the fluid level and wipe the dip stick with 2 fingers and rub together to see if the fluid feels gritty. If it's gritty it does not mean it's stuffed it may just need a service including a new filter.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
flush and service the trans, throw in some transmission treatment with the new fluid and see how it goes.
sounds similar to a trans i had that had a blown piston seal but it didn't change it's behavior between hot and cold, had enough line pressure to work when it got moving but at idle and decel it didn't know what it was meant to do.