Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN V6 conversion to 304

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I wish!!! Otherwise I'd buy one to keep as a donor car for future project or conversion...pre-covid yes but still hasn't come back down to realistic prices otherwise I'd be buying 2k-3k long blocks to gamble on for 355 rebuilds.

Stock to mild 304 will still be on slow side but will sound awsome when you're out cruising or want to give it the occasional belting...

A lot varies on budget,your skills & what purpose car will be....simplest would be to find complete vn/p setup for plug n play hardest would be vt 304 as many different parts & wiring crap followed by vs for wiring differences but bolts in.
1688724403497.png

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Or could go LS conversion.

1688724821783.png

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Might have to go Tassie to buy donor cars if mofo's still registered & drive back to Shitney.

Down here lost out on tired & stuffed 4k 304 vq stato with a weeks rego which sold on 2nd day (was on nightshifts) another was stuffed wh ls1 stato that would never pass rego without full rebuild dude would not go below 5k.

Slowly the prices for junk are coming down...rare stuff I'll want or need down the line I don't bother haggling if it's tad higher than I want to pay or less than 30mins away.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That Stato is not moving at the $5k price. Might be able to get it $5k including the ferry fare and flight down. Lots of transferable parts on that one I posted. People are doing it real tough down here and people are not paying anywhere near what they would have 12 months ago.

That LS Stato didn't move at $15k, he dropped it to $10k and it sat, it sold pretty quick when it went down to $6k.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
By the time you buy all the bits required for the 304 conversion , I'd be surprised if it ends up cheaper than buying an original 304 car. If you check this forum the V6 to 304 conversion was popular 10-15 years ago, when you could buy good VN/VP stuff for 10-20 % of the current price and there was a lot of stuff available.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
Wow this thread is like travelling back 20 years in time!

Didn't think people were selling Fiveys anymore? I just sold a 304, no TB, no ECU, dizzy OR trigger module, no trans, for $3k. Got a guy paying $2.5k for the TH700.

Even if you find one, you'd be nuts not rebuild it, rear main, oil
Sump, blocked pickup

The rule of thumb was to always use a donor car, It's the small things that add up like K-frame, Trans mount, tailshaft, steering pump- All rare as hens teeth these days.

Not to sound like a prick, but in reality if you have to ask these kind of basic questions it's out of your capability.

Drive it, enjoy it and wait till you can afford the car you really want. Some of my best memories were in a v6.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
Also dumb thing to try to convince an 18 year old kid but cars of that vintage are worth way more in stock condition. I'd pay good money for a nice clean grandpa spec vacationer wagon.