Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN V6 Engine Cooling System

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Google vn v6 series 1 engine or engine bay to see what goes where....slightly different to more series 2 that was fitted to later model vn up to vr.

Series 1 have different intaked manifold you'll notice they have little bleeder/filler tank on strut tower...also major difference is crank for flywheel/flexplate.Think wiring loom had some orange instead of red power wires iirc

*been long time since I've seen one.

Series 2 more common,they have thermostat housing with bleeder screw on intake manifold.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The VN series 1 manifold was originally designed for an east-west (FWD) installation (in the US0 so the thermostat location wasn't an issue like it was when put into the RWD Commodore. For the series 2 VN they moved the thermostat location to suit the RWD orientation. The series 1 coolant system is self bleeding and a better design than the more conventional type coolant system used from series 2 onwards. You'll note all the late model GM engines have gone back to the expansion style coolant system that is self bleeding.

I'm a big fan of the series one engine...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The VN series 1 manifold was originally designed for an east-west (FWD) installation (in the US0 so the thermostat location wasn't an issue.
I'm a big fan of the series one engine...
Hmmmmm probably easier to add a factory charger as well then to a Series 1?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yes and no as the whole manifold is swapped but yes the upper radiator hose is already close to where it needs to be.