Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN V6 Engine Cooling System

Adrian Collins

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn engine fitted in cf Bedford
vn water1.jpg
Hi Commodore brothers. I am trying to put a 3800 V6 out of a VN in my Bedford CF Van and am having difficulty identifying some items. Can anyone tell me what appears to be a water pipe coming out of the front of the manifold as in the picture goes to in the normal application? Cheers

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Looks like a fuel line. But there were changes from VN to VR Buick so I could be wrong. The coolant line to the manifold should be closer to the water pump as they have a bypass hose.

Adrian Collins

Reaction score
Members Ride
I thought fuel line was just around the manifold that fed the injectors. But emission control system maybe????

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I thought fuel line was just around the manifold that fed the injectors. But emission control system maybe????

Ahhhh OK I thought it must have gone gone to the rail underneath where you can't see. Yeah like I said there was a few changes over the years with very similar engines. I know @gtrboyy had a VP with a V6 he might have a better idea being closer to VN Buick than my bus.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The short hose that does a 90° bend is the PCV valve breather pipe return to the intake manifold. The black steel hard line is the coolant bleed line. On the LS motors they call em steam vent pipes. Basically these lines come from the highest point on the engine and bleed out any air that may be in the system. On an old motor it pays to remove and make sure they aren't blocked for optimum operation.

Adrian Collins

Reaction score
Members Ride
The short hose that does a 90° bend is the PCV valve breather pipe return to the intake manifold. The black steel hard line is the coolant bleed line. On the LS motors they call em steam vent pipes. Basically these lines come from the highest point on the engine and bleed out any air that may be in the system. On an old motor it pays to remove and make sure they aren't blocked for optimum operation.[/QUOTE

Adrian Collins

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that all becomes clear. Does the coolant bleed line just vent to atmosphere or should there be some sort of check valve at the end of it? Will certainly take off and clean thanks for heads up.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The coolant vent line goes back to the top of the coolant reservoir tank and it flows continuesly. there is no need for a check valve as the lines are a really small diameter (which is why they are easily blocked). The coolant expansion/reservoir tank needs to be higher than the motor to ensure the system works properly.

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
U could of undone it if it smells like oil it be a pvc breather, smells like petrol then its fuel line, if it coolant it will smell like coolant, but you know now, have fun.